Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Nostalgia & History > The McPherson Files... Iron Mountain's Railfan Day '89

Date: 03/25/20 08:29
The McPherson Files... Iron Mountain's Railfan Day '89
Author: MaryMcPherson

The St. Louis, Iron Mountain & Southern in Jackson, Missouri, had their Railfan Day on September 17, 1989.  I had first run into Porter 2-4-2 #5 in 1983, when she was parked in Marion, Illinois, on the property of the Crab Orchard & Egyptian.  She had been retired by the CO&E for over three years by that point, but would not leave the property until the spring of 1985.

The Iron Mountain began operating in 1986, and I first rode that September.  #5 got an overhaul over the winter of 1986-87, and when I next visited in November, 1987, she was in much better shape than after her initial restoration.

1.  #5 hot and ready for the beginning of the day’s activities.

2. #5 backs off the house track to go pick up a freight consist with a couple of cabooses for riders.  That train would be the first of the day.

3. On Jackson’s south side, #5 backs the train up for a photo run.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 03/25/20 08:30
Re: The McPherson Files... Iron Mountain's Railfan Day '89
Author: MaryMcPherson

4. #5 makes a photo run on the point of the freight consist.

5. Later in the day, Jackson & Southern GP9 #103 took a turn on the point of the regular excursion consist.  In this scene, the train make a runby along a rural county road south of Jackson.  #103 was former Illinois Central #9089.

6. The last excursion of the day found #5 and #103 on the point.  This photo finds the train making a photo run at a trestle near Dutchtown, Missouri.  The tracks here have been removed, and what remains of the Iron Mountain is a landlocked five-mile stretch of rail between Jackson and Gordonville.

The engineer of #103 on this day was Camille Chappuis, a well-known area railfan, photographer and long-time member of the Southern Illinois Train Collectors.  The son of a Missouri Pacific operator, control point Chap at Gorham was named for his father, and he was well-liked by everyone who knew him.  His love of railroading would take him to the Southern Pacific, where he worked as a freight conductor over the old GM&O between St. Louis and Chicago following S.P.’s acquiring the line from the bankrupt Chicago, Missouri & Western.  Camille was killed on January 20, 1993, in a head-on collision when, while running on trackage rights, a Burlington Northern yard job ran a stop signal at the west end of Eola Yard.  He was 29 years old.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 03/25/20 08:55
Re: The McPherson Files... Iron Mountain's Railfan Day '89
Author: santafe199

I have a some fond memories of the place from a one-time-only visit. By shear dumb luck I stumbled onto it in this thread:
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,3053460,3053805#msg-3053805

Lance/199

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1474 seconds