Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Nostalgia & History > Forlorn Alcos - Maryland Midland

Date: 04/04/20 16:29
Forlorn Alcos - Maryland Midland
Author: train1275

While driving around Maryland in the Fall of 1985 I stopped in to see the folks at the Maryland Midland at Union Bridge.

These old Long Island RS-3's were sitting in the weeds, faded and  put out to pasture.

The hoppers were cement hoppers. Seems at this time they were using ex CB&Q SD24's for power but can't see where I photographed any that trip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/20 16:30 by train1275.

Date: 04/04/20 16:46
Re: Forlorn Alcos - Maryland Midland
Author: Cole42

Here is a shot of 301 at Walkersville MD with a fan trip, I think it was 1981, but I can't find my print that I scanned in to verify the date.  I probably posted before, but hope you don't mind me jumping in.

Date: 04/05/20 02:11
Re: Forlorn Alcos - Maryland Midland
Author: ClubCar

Cole42 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is a shot of 301 at Walkersville MD with a
> fan trip, I think it was 1981, but I can't find my
> print that I scanned in to verify the date.  I
> probably posted before, but hope you don't mind me
> jumping in.
Thanks for the photo of the train in Walkersville, Maryland.  At that time the Maryland Midland only operated this line (former Pennsylvania RR) between Walkersville and Tanneytown, Maryland.  The date for this excursion had to be in 1983 because when looking at the photo, there is a former Chessie Steam Special painted passenger car in the consist that the MM purchased from Railroad Passenger Cars (RRP).  RRP sold one of their former coaches to the MM in 1983 when RRP no longer had need for these cars since the State of Maryland had purchased their own passenger cars for the MDOT Commuter Trains (now called MARC), and they stopped leasing passenger cars from RRP.  I also rode on one of these excursion trains over this line.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0348 seconds