Home Open Account Help 398 users online

Nostalgia & History > It's the pits...railroading from the bottom up.

Date: 04/09/20 04:41
It's the pits...railroading from the bottom up.
Author: Roadjob

In all of the parts of railroad infrastructure that got the least amount of attention, I'd put the inspection pit at the top of almost everyone's list. That slit trench which ran down the servicing area of a locomotive shop was every bit as critical as the cranes that lifted the locomotives and various components, or the walkways that shop personnel used to place and replace the innards of the power. The pit caught the most basic problems that sometimes kept the flanged wheel from staying on that steel rail. Leaks, broken lines, wear and tear on the inside of the trucks or wheels themselves. Not glamorous work, but crucial. The towers, yards, trains, and the myriad of things we all photographed were the highlights of railroading, but the lowly pit was its backbone. In 1974 I was looking for things to shoot while wandering through the EL's Hornell shop, and was struck by the obscurity of an inspection pit. The shot was taken as an afterthought, and only today did it register how important that trench has been to the trains I loved to watch.

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 04/09/20 04:57
Re: It's the pits...railroading from the bottom up.
Author: Arved

I don't often comment on photos, even ones I like. However, this photo is exceptional, boardering on masterful. Really well done - it has a lot of impact. Deserves to be printed, framed, and hung prominently in your home.

Thanks for sharing!

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

Date: 04/09/20 06:17
Author: Nomad

Arved Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't often comment on photos, even ones I like.
> However, this photo is exceptional, boardering on
> masterful. Really well done - it has a lot of
> impact. Deserves to be printed, framed, and hung
> prominently in your home.
>
> Thanks for sharing!

What he said!

Date: 04/09/20 07:07
Author: refarkas

An "A+" interior scene.
Bob

Date: 04/09/20 07:39
Author: LV95032

And a view from a well lit pit:

Date: 04/09/20 07:46

Perfect! Shows what it was all about!

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 04/09/20 08:22
Author: railstiesballast

Long, long ago our Cub Scout den was taken on a tour of the SP locomotive shops in Los Angeles.
We were offered a chance to step down and walk under some units.  There was a blast of hot air and about half of the guys opted out.
I went down to see under a set of Fs and was surprised that it was quite cool there.
Your second photo brought back those old memories, thanks for sharing.

Date: 04/09/20 09:04
Author: march_hare

In all my years railfanning, I've only seen that view twice.  Once looking up from the pit on a shop tour at Selkirk, NY, and once looking sideways at a wreck scene in Montana.

LOVE that B/W shot!!

Date: 04/09/20 10:33
Author: EL833

Bill, you taught me what to look for very well ....

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

Date: 04/09/20 10:57

Nicely done good buddy!!! Beautiful shot! That shop looks too pretty. Cleanest one I have ever seen.

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/20 10:58 by Roadjob.

Date: 04/09/20 11:32
Author: OldPorter

Thanks Bill, and all others who have posted here. I have no photos, but these here jog my memory
of the various Jobs I had at the Amtk 8th St Coach Yards (formerly ATSF) that line along the West Bank
of the LA River. We called this place the "Superpit." I was down in there a time or two with co-workers,
though I was mainly in different Crafts. I still remember the awesomeness of walking down in there, under
all that Railroad Tonnage, and being able to look up into the Innards of these magnificient Machines.
Great perspective Biil (and thanks to the others) for shedding some light onto the "pits."

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0508 seconds