Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Nostalgia & History > C&O branchline eastern Kentucky. Where was I?

Date: 04/09/20 07:13
C&O branchline eastern Kentucky. Where was I?
Author: LV95032

Still trying to piece together my travels on a trip in early October to West Virginia and Eastern Kentucky. I photographed a TTI train from Paris to Maysville then headed south. Going from Maysville, Ky to Loyall I plotted a route which took me along a railroad track according to the Kentucky state highway map. It was a branchline so I didn't really expect to see anything but I got lucky and found what appears to be a work train with a lot of camp cars. Must be a C&O branch. I know there isn't much to go by but does anyone know where I might have been? Photos are tagged for slide number. The next slide after these three was taken in Loyall, KY. I was very poor at taking notes in the early 1980's so I'm trying to figure out where these photos were taken. The train was definitely on a branch and it was generally headed east. Thanks.

RWJ

Date: 04/09/20 07:17
Re: C&O branchline eastern Kentucky. Where was I?
Author: joeygooganelli

This looks like it should be the Lexington Subdivision. It ran from Russell west through the middle of the state to Lexington. It was pulled up in the mid 80's after the Chessie Seaboard merger. I really wish this line was still intact.

Joe

Date: 04/09/20 08:34
Author: SP8595

No clue on location but Awesome trio of shots and neat lead engine!

Date: 04/09/20 08:35
Author: pilotblue

Thanks for posting, I always enjoy seeing anything Chessie!

Date: 04/09/20 08:37
Author: cr7998

I agree with Joe that this would be the former C&O Lexington Subdivision, between Ashland and Lexington, KY.  West of Lexington, C&O trains had trackage rights over the L&N to and from Louisville.  This was a secondary main line for the C&O, and had passenger service right up until Amtrak started in 1971.  The passenger trains were the Louisville sections of the George Washington, #21 westbound and #22 eastbound.  The line was once busy enough to have block signals, but by the 1970s I believe there was only one through freight in each direction.  The upcoming consolidation of the C&O and L&N into CSX made this line redundant as a through route, and the last through trains operated in 1981.  There was little local business remaining by that time, and most of the line was abandoned by 1985.  Given the time frame, I would guess that the work train in these photographs might have been involved in the dismantling of this line.  Its hard to tell where these photos were taken, but given the topography, I would guess somewhere in the Morehead area.  

The Lexington Subdivision connected at Morehead with the Morehead & North Fork Railroad, a shortline that once ran to Redwine KY.  Most of it was abandoned during the Great Depression, but four miles remained in service out of Morehead.  The M&NF acquired four Baldwin diesels in the 70s, which I believe were ex-Durham & Southern.  The business on the M&NF was not enough to justify keeping the ex-C&O in service, and service on the M&NF ceased with the closure of operations on the Lexington Subdivision.  I believe the Baldwin units were stranded here and cannabilized for parts, and eventually scrapped.  Perhaps someone here on T.O. is more familiar with the details.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/20 09:36 by cr7998.

Date: 04/09/20 09:15
Author: gcm

Great set of shots !
Gary

Date: 04/09/20 11:24
Author: bluesboyst

joeygooganelli Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This looks like it should be the Lexington
> Subdivision. It ran from Russell west through the
> middle of the state to Lexington. It was pulled up
> in the mid 80's after the Chessie Seaboard merger.
> I really wish this line was still intact.
>
> Joe
Me too Joe. I rode the line with my mom back in the mid to late 60's  Damn shame....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0778 seconds