Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Nostalgia & History > Thirty Thursday: Old stuff

Date: 04/09/20 11:49
Thirty Thursday: Old stuff
Author: King_Coal

The GP30 photo is pretty old: Reading 3614 leading GP35 3647 on an early moring eastbound at Black Rock Tunnel, near Phoenixville PA in August 1974.

The tunnel is older. Black Rock Tunnel was the third rail tunnel constructed in the United States, dating back to 1835. According to Wikipedia it was the first to use vertical shafts to aid construction, which was completed in 1838. It was originally a double track tunnel. Hard to believe watching the GP30 emerge from the east portal.

Bob
Omaha

Date: 04/09/20 12:03
Re: Thirty Thursday: Old stuff
Author: dschlegel

Nice catch! I’ve looked at maps and had always wanted to try to find this tunnel but never drove the 30 miles to explore the area.

Is this view still possible or is the area off limits?

Thanks!
Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/09/20 13:43
Author: refarkas

Good photos. Thanks for posting these.
Bob

Date: 04/09/20 20:21
Author: SCKP187

Nice photo and consist.
Brian Stevens

Date: 04/10/20 06:24
Author: Roadjob

Never seen a shot at this location. As a matter of fact, I never knew there was a tunnel in that area. Always nice to learn something new! Great post!!

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 04/16/20 16:21
Author: Gonut1

You can get there to the east end, not too far of a walk and not be too conspicuous. However due to the trees and terrain I don't believe the sun angle ever shines directly down into the cut and portal.

The west end used to be easy pickings but the road into there is plastered with No Trespassing signs by NS.

Go

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0519 seconds