Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Nostalgia & History > SP Mojave shops

Date: 04/09/20 11:58
SP Mojave shops
Author: dmaffei

Wondering if anyone has other photos of this service facility before it was completely gone or still in operation? I believe this was torn down in the early 70's. Depot can be seen at FAR right.  Mojave was a busy place at one time. Thanks for any info...

Date: 04/09/20 12:47
Re: SP Mojave shops
Author: usmc1401

Looks simialar to the old one in Indio CA.

Date: 04/09/20 14:02
Author: goldcoast

There was also SP company housing nearby.  E. G. Smith was Special Agent in Mojave in the mid-1960's and lived in a company owned dwelling.  Sorry I have no photos to share.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/20 14:03 by goldcoast.

Date: 04/09/20 16:08
Author: MojaveBill

I live in the former signal maintainer's house which was moved to H St. and expanded.
There are still a few of the smaller houses left on I Street (next to the tracks).
They are very well built but not all of them very well-maintained.
With double pane windows and the house's construction we seldom hear trains, or planes.
I took pix of that enginehouse back in the day but they are stored somewhere. 
I believe there was a roundhouse before this one. Several women worked on engines there during WW II.
They had a sandhouse, etc., in those days. SPH&RR Society did a big piece on Mojave several years ago.

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 04/09/20 16:49
Author: wjpyper

Mojave Airport was once a Marine Corps Air Station so that probably contributed to the traffic.
Bill Pyper
Lacey, WA
(xLancaster)

Date: 04/09/20 21:18
Author: wattslocal

Is that Sana Fe caboose still on the airport property?

My friend was in a speeder club and used to run on their tracks.

Watts local

Date: 04/09/20 23:25
Author: E25

I could only find one photograph of the Mojave shops in my collection.  Pretty much the same angle, but with a little more "life" in 1968.

Greg Stadter
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 04/10/20 07:58
Author: dmaffei

Thanks Greg,
Nice to see SD9s were some of the last to use the facility. Always enjoy your photos...

E25 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I could only find one photograph of the Mojave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.082 seconds