Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Nostalgia & History > Snow at Summit!

Date: 05/30/20 19:08
Snow at Summit!
Author: BRAtkinson

South Dakota, that is...

While scanning more purchased Milwaukee Road slides I'll be posting on ebay, I came across a couple of slides taken at Summit SD by Tom Baldner. 

I'm somewhat puzzled, however.  In slide 1, it looks like the platform has been cleared as it's snow free.  A cleared platform and broken windows?  Then, was #2 shot taken before or after #1 and #3 were taken.  And yes, that IS a hangmans noose at the far end of the eaves.  How it got there and why is open to speculation.

Can't forget the 'water saver' restroom facility out back.  It was also labled Summit SD and is painted the same as the station.

Date: 05/31/20 07:43
Re: Snow at Summit!
Author: ntharalson

Thanks for posting.  As I recall, this area was prone to extreme snow dirfiting which the second shot would seem to confirm.  I remember hearing about the MILW having a lot of trouble keeping the line open back in the 60's.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 05/31/20 22:42
Re: Snow at Summit!
Author: pbouzide

What a great MILW scene, gray structures, searchlight signals on semaphore poles, and the yellow-black "V" whistlepost...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0441 seconds