Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Nostalgia & History > Chicago Bicentennial gathering

Date: 07/04/20 20:27
Chicago Bicentennial gathering
Author: wpamtk

During 1976, Trains Magazine staged two photoshoots of groups of Bicentennial-painted locomotives in Chicago. I was attending the NMRA convention there at the time of the second shoot. While on a bus tour, we were informed that we would be able to stop and take photos. I'm not sure of the exact location, but I believe it was a small, generally unused BRC yard. The midday light wasn't very good, but the opportunity was not to be missed.
1. As we arrived, our attention was diverted by this pair of BRC C424s passing by.
2. Grand Trunk Western
3. Burlington Northern. Number 1876 (there was also a 1776 and 1976) had placards on the sides showing Custer and Sitting Bull. Probably wouldn't happen today...
more...

Date: 07/04/20 20:30
Re: Chicago Bicentennial gathering

4. Belt Railway of Chicago
5. Soo Line
6. Norfolk & Western
more...

Date: 07/04/20 20:33

7. Delaware & Hudson
8. Rock Island
9. Erie Lackawanna (although four months into Conrail)

Date: 07/04/20 20:38
Author: atsf121

We’re these the engines in a group photo that used to be on the cover of the BSA Railroading Merit Badge pamphlet? I earned lots of merit badges, but for some stupid reason I thought I had to build a model layout that I didn’t have space for and so didn’t try to earn it. Still kick myself for that one.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/05/20 07:11
Author: ghemr

Although Trains magazine staged the popular photo shoot of these locomotives at BRC's 87th Street Yard, I believe they also did the same at their Clearing Yard before dispersing the locomotives to their respective owners. The background in your photos has changed dramatically today but I believe the photos were taken just west of Central Ave on the north side of Clearing.....

PS...Note the BRC caboose which was also painted red, white and blue (inside and out) behind the EL unit. This suggests to me the train of locomotives returned back from 87th St.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/20 07:15 by ghemr.

Date: 07/05/20 08:14
Author: ntharalson

BN SD40-2 1876 was actually called a "Centennial" unit by BN.  It was originally 1976 but was involved in a sideswipe in Montana, the exact location escapes me.  BN had an event where they needed two units so while this 1976 was being repaired, they painted up SDP40 6397 to 1976 and renumbered the SD40-2 to 1876 and called it, as mentioned, the "Centennial" unit.  I believe the plaques of the Sioux leaders were to honor them and the heritage of the BN in Montana.  I don't see why they wouldn't be appropriate today.  

This is a nice series of photos, thanks for posting.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/20 08:30 by ntharalson.

Date: 07/05/20 13:49

ntharalson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BN SD40-2 1876 was actually called a "Centennial"
> unit by BN.  It was originally 1976 but was
> invovled in a sideswipe in Montana, the exact
> location escapes me.  BN had an event where they
> needed to units so while this 1976 was being
> repaired, they paint up SDP40 6397 to 1976 and
> renumbered the SD40-2 to 1876 and called it, as
> mentioned, the "Centennial" unit.  I believe the
> plaques of the Sioux leaders were to honor them
> and the harietage of the BN in Montana.  I don't
> see why they wouldn't be appropriate today.  
>
> This is a nice series of photos, thanks for
> posting.  
>
> Nick Tharalson,
> Marion, IA
I imagine the portrait of George Custer on the other side of the unit wouldn't be so well received today.

Date: 07/05/20 18:37
Author: New773

The D&H is such an oddity in Chicago. Maybe because of Dereco via N&W?

Date: 07/05/20 22:11
Author: IC_2024

Excellent, Ed! Trains magazine must have had a huge lift that they used to get the overhead shot— no drones back in the day!

Date: 07/06/20 15:43
Author: pal77

New773 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The D&H is such an oddity in Chicago. Maybe
> because of Dereco via N&W?

DH power were regulars on EL  PB100/99 trains   but I think the RS3m is an oddity the more common power was U30/33C and C628's   B&M GP's but less common   of course Dereco was a memory for the EL at this point.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0626 seconds