Home Open Account Help 182 users online

Nostalgia & History > much RR activity just out of sight on left ...

Date: 07/09/20 08:15
much RR activity just out of sight on left ...
Author: valmont

.... know what it was?
Bruce Black shot from Dec. 25, 1971 ...

Date: 07/09/20 08:21
Re: much RR activity just out of sight on left ...
Author: ntharalson

Given the C&S SD9's in this consist, I'm going to guess this is in the vicinity of the CF&I steel mill in Pueblo, CO.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 07/09/20 08:35
Author: valmont

You're right Nick ...

Date: 07/09/20 18:42
Author: callum_out

Wonder where that picture was taken. I know things have changed but I don't remember any sweeping curve near the mill.

Out 

Date: 07/09/20 20:30
Author: royalgorge

The route you are looking at was the original ATSF, DT&FW, MP line up MInnequa Hill to serve CF&I and to give the Fort Worth a connection the the D&RG narrow gauge route to Trinidad. In 1887 the D&RG was installing a third rail so the route oculd be used by the Fort Worth as part of its mainline Gulf to the Rockies.  In the distance the upbound train has cross Salt Creek on the lower bridge, out of sight to the left in front of the train is the high bridge or Black Water Bridge over Salt Creek and a couple of curves into CF&I proper.  The route was built in 1887.  Today the route is called the Old Way and has been moved to the left to make way for the new low grade line to Southern Junction.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0289 seconds