Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Nostalgia & History > Wig-Wag Wednesday 1988 Chicago Central (ex-IC) Winnebago, ILL

Date: 07/29/20 10:27
Wig-Wag Wednesday 1988 Chicago Central (ex-IC) Winnebago, ILL
Author: MWBaker

Working Wig-Wag near Winnebago, IL along the former Illinois Central, protects a rural grade crossing as an EB Chicago Central & Pacific train flies past.

Frustratingly short snippet as two "mentor" railfans and I, all from Dixon, IL were chasing this train from Freeport, and we got here just in time.

The IC had pulled up the Charter (or "Gruber") Line through our hometown just 3 years before and while only the C&NW had wig wags down home, seeing these Geeps (esp the high nose units) brought my childhood back to me.

Now its been over 30 years and all my CC&P footage is cherished. I only wish I'd borrowed my fathers camcorder as early as '84 or '85 to catch the Freeport-Mendota turn...

Mark Baker
La Salle, IL
Historic ROWs trace w/ USDA Aerials

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/20 10:55 by MWBaker.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/29/20 11:00
Re: Wig-Wag Wednesday 1988 Chicago Central (ex-IC) Winnebago, ILL
Author: UP951West

V. GOOD action with CC , IC  horn and wigwag ! Thanks for sharing . 

Date: 07/29/20 20:34
Author: ntharalson

Nice stuff, thanks for posting.  

Thre was another wig wag east of Peosta that lasted into the CC era.  I don't know when it vanished but I got some interesting stuff there.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 07/30/20 04:44
Author: mp51w

My one and only Milwaukee Road shot, going Northbound through Rochelle.

Date: 07/30/20 08:25
Author: MWBaker

Hi Nick. Seeing this wig-wag in my late 20's was the first one since growing up in Dixon and the pair on the C&NW at the depot. They lasted well into the 1970's and if I recall the story, sets of  "modern"  flashers and gates were inside the depot waiting to get installed and in the meantime the railroad was being fined (daily?) for not upgrading the grade crossing.

Mark Baker
La Salle, IL
Historic ROWs trace w/ USDA Aerials

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0398 seconds