Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Nostalgia & History > The Lost Engines of Roanoke

Date: 07/30/20 08:22
The Lost Engines of Roanoke
Author: gcm

During the 1977 NRHS Convention in Roanoke, one of the excursions (behind a couple of RS3 units) was a tour of the Roanoke area.
A very interesting trip highlighted by this sight at the Virginia Scrap Iron & Metal Co.
Three abandoned steam engines and two Baldwin diesels.
Unfortunately the pictures are bad due to vines, weeds and wrong sun but quite exciting nonetheless.
The three steam engines were N&W 4-8-0 M2 and M2c class - 1134, 1151 and 1118.
In my shots I don't know which was which.
I remember thinking it had only been 17 years since the N&W dropped steam so maybe these engines were sold around the 1960 period - but no.
Built around 1910 - I believe all built at the N&W shops? - they were sold to this scrapyard way back in 1950. They had sat unmoved for 27 years when we passed by and would eventually remain in one spot for almost 60 years !
There also may have been another steam engine just outside the scrapyard property but not sure about that.

The two Chesapeake Western Baldwin DS 4-4-660 locomotives were retired in 1964 and brought to the scrapyard. They were built in 1946.
There was also a couple tenders and other misc items.
In the last shot looks like a few railroad items in the scrapyard.
The good news is that all the engines were saved and moved about eight years ago.

Here are some good sites with info on the engines and some decent pictures of them after a group finally stripped the vines and weeds off.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/Lost%20Engines%20of%20Roanoke

http://www.vmt.org/collections/rail/diesel-locomotives/chesapeake-western-baldwin-ds-4-4-660-662/

http://lostengines.railfan.net/history.shtml

Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/20 08:24 by gcm.

Date: 07/30/20 08:22
Re: The Lost Engines of Roanoke

Date: 07/30/20 09:45
Author: refarkas

Lost is right!
Bob

Date: 07/30/20 10:54
Author: krm152

Exactly four years earlier on September 1, 1973, I was there at the "Lost Engines".
The vegetation overgrowth was actually much worse then.  I believe  some work had been to reduce it for the convention.
Notice how some of the overgrowth on the steam engines is dead.  When I was there, they were almost completely invisible.
 #663 was completely covered with overgrowth. #662 was parftially covered as was the auxiliary water car behind it
Your pictures may not be great but they are outstanding compared to mine.
Was always surprised #662 & #663 were sold to a scrapper instead of an industrial operator such as a steel mill.
Thanks for the interesting photo posting.
ALLEN.

Date: 07/30/20 12:31
Author: GN599

Neat story! Looking at the photos it's hard to believe the all escaped. CW 662 looks great. Shining like a new penny!

Date: 07/30/20 14:15

krm152 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Exactly four years earlier on September 1, 1973, I
> was there at the "Lost Engines".
> The vegetation overgrowth was actually much worse
> then.  I believe  some work had been to reduce
> it for the convention.

> ALLEN.

I believe you are right - they may have done some clearing.
Thanks.
Gary

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1196 seconds