Home Open Account Help 193 users online

Nostalgia & History > Rock Island accident (steam) - 1940's Kodachromes

Date: 08/07/20 13:18
Rock Island accident (steam) - 1940's Kodachromes
Author: Mike4960

Here are three pictures taken at the site of an accident involving a RI 4-8-4 which is clearly an oil burner. The locomotive appears to have been traveling on straight track in a rural area and is turned over on its left side. We are probably in Oklahoma based on the bright red soil. Looking closely at the number on the cab I am guessing 5034 or 5031 but it is not totally clear. I am also a bit surprised at how rusty the wheels of the engine are unless the wreck sat for a while or there was rain. My info on Rock Island steam locomotives is not detailed so if anyone has access to a RI accident data base perhaps the date, location, and locomotive number could be confirmed. Speculation is welcomed and I hope you enjoy these photos. 

Bob McGarrah
Edwards, IL

Date: 08/07/20 13:18
Re: Rock Island accident (steam) - 1940's Kodachromes

Last photo.

Date: 08/07/20 14:33
Author: EL-SD45-3632

Nice series of photos. With the engine on it's side it gives you a look at the detail you don't see very often, back in the day.  That rust looks like surface rust from rain, the engine was setting for a short while before the clean-up was completed. 

Date: 08/07/20 16:02
Author: Arkrail

In 1944 and 1946, #5031 was assigned to the Mo-Kans Division for servicing.  That said, the surroundings certainly could be Oklahoma.  Is it possible to get a close up of the wrecker number?  Those did not get reassigned often, and thus the number might give a clue as to the division.

Bill Pollard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/20 16:53 by Arkrail.

Date: 08/07/20 16:54
Author: tomstp

That red dirt would stick like glue to shoes.

Date: 08/07/20 17:27

Here is a higher resolution scan. The wrecker cab door is open, covering part of the number but it definitely ends in "019". I'm leaning more towards "5034" as the loco number.
Thanks for the research!
Bob

Arkrail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In 1944 and 1946, #5031 was assigned to the
> Mo-Kans Division for servicing.  That said, the
> surroundings certainly could be Oklahoma.  Is it
> possible to get a close up of the wrecker
> number?  Those did not get reassigned often, and
> thus the number might give a clue as to the
> division.
>
> Bill Pollard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/20 17:29 by Mike4960.

Date: 08/07/20 21:31
Author: 57A26

I have a book, "Rock Island Wrecks 1911 to 1959" that is a collection of ICC accident reports.

ICC report #3328 may be for these pictures.

On May 9. 1950 at 735pm, Extra 5034 North derailed near Kremlin OK due to a section of fill sinking about 10 feet.  The fireman and  head brakeman were killed, the rest of the crew injured.  The train consisted of 52 cars and a caboose.  Estimated speed at the time of the derailment was 50mph, the maximum speed allowed freight trains. The first 29 cars and the 38th to 43rd car inclusive, derailed.  27 cars were destroyed by fire from flammable contents leaked by derailed tank cars.  

Date: 08/08/20 09:22
Author: Hou74-76

I did enjoy these photos although I must say I am saddened and sobered to read of the wreck.  This must have been a hard job to clean up from.  True railroading here.

Date: 08/08/20 10:30

Thanks so much for the ICC accident summary, I believe it does match the photos. Kremlin is on the RI line just north of Enid. I had a bad feeling about the fireman position in the cab just looking at the photos, and learning of the ICC fatality information is very sad. I did a quick check on Newspapers.com for the day after, May 10th, 1950 and found several stories but a subscription is required to read them. If any one can retrieve a newspaper article to share here it would be appreciated. Thanks again to 57A26 for sharing the ICC summary. According to a roster I have the 5034 was sold for scrap a little over a year later in August, 1951. I wonder if it was even repaired after this wreck.

Bob

57A26 Wrote:
> I have a book, "Rock Island Wrecks 1911 to 1959"
> that is a collection of ICC accident reports.
>
> ICC report #3328 may be for these pictures.
>
> On May 9. 1950 at 735pm, Extra 5034 North derailed
> near Kremlin OK due to a section of fill sinking
> about 10 feet.  The fireman and  head brakeman
> were killed, the rest of the crew injured.  The
> train consisted of 52 cars and a caboose. 
> Estimated speed at the time of the derailment was
> 50mph, the maximum speed allowed freight trains.
> The first 29 cars and the 38th to 43rd car
> inclusive, derailed.  27 cars were destroyed by
> fire from flammable contents leaked by derailed
> tank cars.  
>
>  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/20 10:34 by Mike4960.

Date: 08/08/20 20:58
Author: rrman6

Mike4960 Wrote:
> Here is a higher resolution scan. The wrecker cab
> door is open, covering part of the number but it
> definitely ends in "019". I'm leaning more towards
> "5034" as the loco number.
> Thanks for the research!
> Bob
>
> Arkrail Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > In 1944 and 1946, #5031 was assigned to the
> > Mo-Kans Division for servicing.  That said,
> the
> > surroundings certainly could be Oklahoma.  Is
> it
> > possible to get a close up of the wrecker
> > number?  Those did not get reassigned often,
> and
> > thus the number might give a clue as to the
> > division.
> >
> > Bill Pollard

Just some more confirmation for Bob and Bill here.  Here is a photo I took of the RI95019 Wrecker Derrick I took on 11-1-1963 near the El Reno, OK shops where it was stationed.  Not the best photo as it was taken by my only camera at the time, a Brownie Kodak.  Here is some details I gathered on this crane from the cast plate that was attached to the unit.
Builder: Industrial Works, Bay City, Mich.
Date Built: 1913
Serial No.: 2897
Capacity:   150 Ton at 17 ft. radius with outriggers
       "          65   "    "  20 "     "         "         "
       "          20   "    "  17 "     "    without    "
       "          15   "    "  25 "     "         "         "
This derrick was painted black with white lettering and the side logo was red & white Scothlite material.  Both hooks were painted RI MOW orange.  The boom tip was was painted silver.  The window sashes of operators cab were of aluminum.

The other derrick's number in Bob's photo isn't showing, but I'd presume it may have come from further north at Herington, KS.

Bob, again thanks for displaying these fabulous photos of times past, although it's sad at the loss/injuries of the engine crewmen.  I can't wait to see what your other slides may offer as you are able to display them.  Keep them coming!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/20 19:21 by rrman6.

Date: 08/10/20 11:24
Author: MaryMcPherson

Mike4960 Wrote:
> If any one can retrieve a newspaper article to share here it
> would be appreciated.

Ask and you shall receive....

Note one paper calls the locomotive a diesel...

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/20 11:27 by MaryMcPherson.

Date: 08/10/20 11:25
Author: MaryMcPherson

Two more...

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 08/10/20 12:36
Author: rrman6

Analysis of this # RI 5034 locomotive's underside:

Thanks to Bob for displaying this rare 4th slide showing the underside of this engine, I submit the following thoughts.
1,  The front brake linkage of the left side (bottom in this view) has been removed, yet the right side link is still in place.  For a "hospitalized unit", would this be normal to remove such linkage to allow freedom of the brake shoes during transporting to its final destination?
2.  Also, I notice the two rear heavy horizontal brake beams appear as concave.  I assume this was created during the accident from heavy bridge or abutment members.

Other's thoughts for discussion are appreciated!

Date: 08/10/20 16:29

Thank you Mary! The newspaper stories contain great details and firmly establish the human aspect of the accident. Not that there was much doubt but the photo in one article certainly confirms locomotive #5034. and the location between two bridges approx 2-1/2 miles north of Kremlin, OK is easily found on Google Maps. I would like to again thank everyone for their help in identifying what would otherwise be a forgotten incident recorded on a few frames of Kodachrome film. They will now be annotated for whoever becomes their custodian at some point in the future.

Bob

MaryMcPherson Wrote:
> Mike4960 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If any one can retrieve a newspaper article to
> share here it
> > would be appreciated.
>
> Ask and you shall receive....
>
> Note one paper calls the locomotive a diesel...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1456 seconds