Home Open Account Help 234 users online

Nostalgia & History > EL E8s on Port Jervis bound train - 1974

Date: 09/10/20 06:55
EL E8s on Port Jervis bound train - 1974
Author: skyview

Certainly a highlight of the mid 70s, prior to it behind upgraded with new euquipment, was the running of EL E8s on the trains to and from Port Jervis, NY.  Here, EL E8 #825 leads the Port Jervis bound passenger train at Ramsey, NJ, May 1974.

Date: 09/10/20 07:33
Re: EL E8s on Port Jervis bound train - 1974
Author: stevelv

Nice look back at the stuff I saw as a kid.  Those were the days before the U34CH's when commuter trains were pulled by E8's, GP7's or RS3's.

Date: 09/10/20 07:41
Author: Lackawanna484

The arrival of "new" air conditioned coaches and bar cars was a very big deal.

Maybe 1976?

Posted from Android

Date: 09/10/20 08:30
Re: E8s on Port Jervis train - 1974
Author: timz

Maybe the Port Jervis trains were a/c in 1976,
but the first Comets were earlier than that,
weren't they? Wasn't the U34CH invented
around 1969?

Date: 09/10/20 09:20

I think the new equipment for Port Jervis was delayed a while before NY and NJ reached a funding agreement.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/10/20 09:42
Author: RayH

IIRC, using the U34's on Port Jervis service began in September 1974. The new equipment (on early timetables they were called Dieselliners) started phasing in service around 1971-1972. Even after the U34's entered service, I still recall a number of Waldwick trains using E units and exSanta fe coaches.

Great shot at Ramsey of Train 59, Tim!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/20 09:43 by RayH.

Date: 09/10/20 09:52
Author: krm152

A very nice very.  Thanks for you posting.
ALLEN

Date: 09/10/20 10:22

Thanks for the remarks.  Im enjoying looking back in the time machine!  Doesnt seem so long ago.  I have the last runs of both the eastbound and westbound Port Jervis trains with E8s and Stillwell coaches, not sure if I posted at some point but could post again if I did.

Date: 09/10/20 11:34
Author: pal77

Home sweet home. I was likely a couple hundred feet away in Finch park playing baseball. I actually blew up the picture to see if I knew the kid waiting on the bicycle. My dad commuted to downtown and I remember how pleased he was with the new equipment thinking 72-73. But I also recall these blasting through town. There was a story going around that the old equipment was faster thus retained for the longer trip to Port of course that was bs. I believe it was 74 when NJ and NY settled their funding issues. Thank for posting great memories.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/10/20 13:04
Author: RichM

I'll defer to better knowledge, but weren't the U34's used on the Spring Valley (NY&NJ) line earlier?  I worked at the Stop and Shop in Hillsdale, NJ starting in the fall of '73 and I could swear they were in use there, NY funding or not...

Different set of rules for that line?

Date: 09/10/20 13:05
Author: pdt

Yes, that is train 59 to Port Jervis.  a mix of air condiioned and non-airconditioned stillwells.  

The U34CH push pulls came in 1972.   They replaced  the RS-3 and GP-7 hauled trains 1st.

E-8's continued on the port jervis trains w stillwells and the Waldwick trains with santa fe cars til at least late 74.

Then once we had trains operated by NJT (not CR) the budd RDC's came to the EL for a while.   The MNCR suffern-Port Jervis shuttle, and 2 rush hour trains out of hoboken ran with ex-CNJ and NYC RDC's...I believe it was in the early 80's.

Ive got 8mm movies of these trains from around this time....

Date: 09/10/20 16:15

It's certainly possible the U34CH and new coaches took over the route to Port Jervis in 1974 or early 1975.

RDC units were used for a while on the Hoboken to Waldwick cut off route for a while. Commuters hated them.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/10/20 17:53

RichM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll defer to better knowledge, but weren't the
> U34's used on the Spring Valley (NY&NJ) line
> earlier?  I worked at the Stop and Shop in
> Hillsdale, NJ starting in the fall of '73 and I
> could swear they were in use there, NY funding or
> not...
>
> Different set of rules for that line?

They WERE used on the NJ&NY in the early 70's. End of line was Spring Valley, only a few miles into NY (similar to Main Line trains originating or terminating in Suffern). I don't know if there was partial NY State funding for those couple of miles into NY.

Date: 09/10/20 17:56

skyview Wrote:
> Thanks for the remarks.  Im enjoying looking back
> in the time machine!  Doesnt seem so long ago. 
> I have the last runs of both the eastbound and
> westbound Port Jervis trains with E8s and
> Stillwell coaches, not sure if I posted at some
> point but could post again if I did.

I remember seeing your shot of the last eastbound. A friend and I chased the last westbound (and I had a short cab ride in PO, from the station to the roundhouse in 825; my last E8 cab ride). 

Date: 09/10/20 19:05

RayH Wrote:
(SNIP)
> >
> > Different set of rules for that line?
>
> They WERE used on the NJ&NY in the early 70's. End
> of line was Spring Valley, only a few miles into
> NY (similar to Main Line trains originating or
> terminating in Suffern). I don't know if there was
> partial NY State funding for those couple of miles
> into NY.

I think Suffern, and Nanuet, Pearl River, Spring Valley etc got a pass on the quarrels over NY state funding. But, service out 40+ miles to Port Jervis did not.

At one point, NY paid for weekend express service from NY points to Secaucus and Hoboken. Express from NY points.  NJ Transit added a few stops in NJ on NY's dime.  Much uproar, I think NJ backed off

Date: 09/11/20 14:40

Sept 14, 1974 was the last E8s and Stillwell coaches that ran Port Jervis to Hoboken, look at the final train slide for the date.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0651 seconds