Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Nostalgia & History > Big Blue Monday @ MG tower

Date: 09/21/20 07:51
Big Blue Monday @ MG tower
Author: thebluecomet

Early morning mist surrounding the action at MG tower just west of Horseshoe Curve, June 22, 1985.

PIEN drops downgrade with the first car throwing alot of brake shoe smoke.

Former Erie Lackawanna SD45-2's were the mainstay helper power during that time period.

Another former EL pair running lite behind PIEN.

Date: 09/21/20 07:57
Re: Big Blue Monday @ MG tower
Author: King_Coal

Great looking tower. Very good prop for your photos.

Date: 09/21/20 08:49
Author: perklocal

Excellent !  I can smell the brake shoe smoke.

Date: 09/21/20 10:30
Author: RRTom

I never went up there because I heard there could be bears on the access road up the hill.  Any experience with bears?

Date: 09/21/20 11:00
Author: MGA2300

Smokey Bear (NS police) is who you’ll likely meet

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/21/20 13:06
Author: bobdavis

The tower is apparently torn down now.  It sure was different from other former PRR towers.  And yes, there are black bears up there.  I personally saw a couple one foggy day crossing the tracks in that same general area but not on the MG access road.  Security could be tight even back in Conrail days, since going up that road was definitely trespassing.  I got hassled once for being up there even as a CR employee.  "You're not on duty".

Bob

Date: 09/22/20 14:11
Author: elwefel

I remember seeing the bears, but never thought of them as a threat.

Date: 09/29/20 14:17
Author: Gonut1

Bears don't bother humans unless you get too near their young. I saw a Mom and two cubs cross a road when I was broke down near Wellsboro, PA some years ago. A little scary when it's almost dark and they are only about 100 feet away. They just kept going. Neat to see.
If you want to attract bears go camping in the woods and put food in your tent, Even wrapped up in layers of plastic, they'll find it. Super sense of smell.
Go

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0344 seconds