Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Nostalgia & History > Maroon Monday- a trio of green

Date: 09/21/20 09:59
Maroon Monday- a trio of green
Author: santafe199

Seven years ago this coming November I started this “Maroon Monday” series to showcase what seems to be everybody’s sentimental favorite fallen flag, the Mighty Fine Rock Island Line. And since the CRI&P/RI/ROCK runs a very close second to my beloved Santa Fe in favored roads I have to confess that my launching this series was not entirely pure in thought. I was kinda-sorta greedily looking forward to all sorts of images of the Rock, especially since I had only about 3½ precious shooting years as a 35mm photographer. A couple of links:

The idea was borne here: ( https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,3229066,3229145#msg-3229145 ),
and became reality here: ( https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,3233841,3233841#msg-3233841 ).

Since Maroon Monday caught on, and has become a regular staple of TO Mondays there have been a few TO members who have from time to time slipped other “brand X” RRs in, only because they had maroon in their paint schemes. But that’s OK. At least it was in the spirit of a special series thread.

So (chuckling) … with my tongue-in-cheek testimony above I hereby (snickering) post 3 SOLID GREEN Rock Island boxcars for Maroon Monday! (heh heh hehain’t I a stinker… ;^)

1. CRI&P 40 ft boxcar 47341 splices 2 more solid green specimens rolling through Topeka, KS in front of the UP depot on August 9, 1969.
Photo by William A. Gibson (WAG) Sr.

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Art Gibson (wag216)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/23 00:45 by santafe199.

Date: 09/21/20 10:05
Re: Maroon Monday- a trio of green
Author: dan

Were they assigned to maytag?

Date: 09/21/20 10:14
Author: rbenko

Did they steal some paint from Penn Central?  Looks like an exact match to PC freight car green.

Date: 09/21/20 10:24
Author: RRTom

Is the space in the "A" in Island painted in or is that a result of scanning?

Date: 09/21/20 10:32

RRTom Wrote: > ... or is that a result of scanning? ...

Eyup! That's the ol' Epson getting a little bit over-zealous with its dirt & speck removal. On 'low' setting, for crying out loud. I absolutely cannot use the "Digital Ice" feature because it routinely removes lettering, grab irons and even trackside line poles. On occasion it has been known to erase cats & dogs & small children... ;^)

Lance/199

added: I think I might have been able to install a small green triangle inside that A. But I had more pressing items to take care of at the time, and just never got back to it...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/20 10:46 by santafe199.

Date: 09/21/20 11:29
Author: krm152

Looks like somebody at the paint shop was red/green color blind!
ALLEN

Date: 09/21/20 11:31
Author: refarkas

Truly out-of-the-ordinary. Great find.
Bob

Date: 09/21/20 12:08
Author: wag216

My  buddy, Lance,  is just  no ripe yet!  (lol,lol)  wag216

Date: 09/21/20 12:14

wag216 Wrote: > ... Lance, is just  not ripe yet! ...

Oof duh, now there's a 50-pointer! Well spoken, Methuselah...

;^)

Date: 09/21/20 12:16
Author: zr190

There was a reason for painting that series green.  Seems to me it had something to do with billing for car repairs
or something along those lines.  Open to correction.
zr190

Date: 09/21/20 14:13
Author: bnsfsd70

Love it!  These were a group of boxcars that were rebuilt by USRE from a number of different sources, such as Lehigh Valley, and New Haven.  From what I understand, that's PC Jade Green on those cars, and it's the result of getting a deal from the rebuilder, as in, "we'll get these to you for a cheaper price, if you let us paint them this color."  Ever thrify, they jumped at the opportunity.

You can see more roster info and photos here: http://dgcasdor.ipower.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/fcj78.pdf

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 09/21/20 20:28
Author: LV95032

To be clear LV sold cars to US Rail who rebuilt them and leased them back to the LV. Green cars were no longer owned by the LV.
RWJ

bnsfsd70 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Love it!  These were a group of boxcars that were
> rebuilt by USRE from a number of different
> sources, such as Lehigh Valley, and New Haven. 
> From what I understand, that's PC Jade Green on
> those cars, and it's the result of getting a deal
> from the rebuilder, as in, "we'll get these to you
> for a cheaper price, if you let us paint them this
> color."  Ever thrify, they jumped at the
> opportunity.
>
> You can see more roster info and photos
> here: http://dgcasdor.ipower.com/sitebuilderconte
> nt/sitebuilderfiles/fcj78.pdf
>
> - Jeff Carlson

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.059 seconds