Home Open Account Help 211 users online

Nostalgia & History > WAG Wednesday: Wine with your dinner, sir?

Date: 09/23/20 09:15
WAG Wednesday: Wine with your dinner, sir?
Author: santafe199

Here’s a car I’ll bet many of us have never seen in person! On the other hand, a car like this would almost never escape Bill Gibson’s eye. He was very good at picking off exotic freight cars from passing trains! You’ll have to forgive the lack of sharpness, though. It was scanned back in my pre-historic, tech-unsavvy days when I didn’t know nuthin’ about nuthin’! At least the photo-editing is much better than the Picasa I first started with!

BTW: just for grins & that unfavorably aromatic other material, I went online and typed in “Château Martin”. And some very interesting stuff popped up. As of yesterday evening eBay was offering a 50 ft version of this car in HO scale. Also, I discovered an old thread about Château Martin wine cars (tank cars, to be specific) that was posted about 4 years before I joined TO. ( https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,1481688 ). Small world, eh…

1. CMWX 1005 seen at Denver, CO on September 11, 1964.
Photo by William A. Gibson (WAG) Sr.

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Art Gibson (wag216)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/23 00:49 by santafe199.

Date: 09/23/20 09:29
Re: WAG Wednesday: Wine with your dinner, sir?
Author: SPDRGWfan

Wild!  And followed up by a D&RGW caboose no less!

Cheers,
Jim

Date: 09/23/20 11:02
Author: alally8444

I'll take some of that "boxed" wine!

Date: 09/23/20 15:09
Author: TS735

I always love seeing photos of Château Martin wine cars. They had quite an eclectic collection of tank cars and former milk cars to transport their wine from Central California to New York.

Ryan Barber
Stockton, CA

Date: 09/23/20 15:17
Author: trainman

Shaken , not stirred . Oh wait.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/23/20 18:49
Author: agentatascadero

trainman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Shaken , not stirred . Oh wait.
>
> Posted from Android

Some like their wine prepared/served still, others prefer sparkling....better not shake THAT one!!

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 09/23/20 20:17
Author: spjim

There are over 50 photos of Chateau Martin wine tank cars on my web page at
http://coastdaylight.com/chatmart/cmwx_roster_1.html

Jim Lancaster

Date: 09/23/20 23:36
Author: Evan_Werkema

spjim Wrote:

> There are over 50 photos of Chateau Martin wine
> tank cars on my web page at
> http://coastdaylight.com/chatmart/cmwx_roster_1.html

Want some roof detail, Jim?  Photo by E.K. Muller courtesy the Western Railway Museum Archives.

Date: 09/24/20 12:27
Author: spjim

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Want some roof detail, Jim?  Photo by E.K. Muller courtesy the Western Railway Museum Archives 

For me, the photo contains more than just roof detail. The presence of the Chateau Martin car and the tank cars indicates this is a winery. I was aware that Chateau Martin (Eastern Wine Company) had a winery in Waterford, CA and also purchased bulk wine from wineries in San Martin, CA and Mattei, CA but I was not aware of a fourth winery in DiGiorgio, CA.

From Google I learned that the DiGiorgio Corp. had owned the Del Vista winery in Delano, CA but had sold it in 1945. In 1946 they built a new winery in DiGiorgio, CA. That must be the winery shown in the 1954 photo. That winery is now Heck Cellars. The first image from a Google satellite view shows a wide view of Heck Cellars. The second image is a close-up and shows that the building in the 1954 photo is relatively unchanged.

Jim Lancaster

Date: 09/24/20 13:26
Author: mwarfel

Do not hump!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0748 seconds