Home Open Account Help 367 users online

Nostalgia & History > WAG running extra (#86): A cold flashback

Date: 09/27/20 10:14
WAG running extra (#86): A cold flashback
Author: santafe199

Part of the fun of working with slide collections from multiple photographers is running across a scene that jolts me right back to a vivid memory from one of my past railfan experiences. I’m reasonably sure that as Bill Gibson took this shot he already knew many of this CF-7’s technical details. I’ll even wager that he knew if he already had a shot of the 2558. By 1977 Bill was in his late 60s and had a vast reservoir of railfanning experience to draw from.

But Bill’s simple roster shot here offers me a very stark contrast. It reminds me of my early days when I was still pretty ‘wet behind my railfan ears’. Specifically a day in December of 1976 when I accompanied a fellow railfan out for some chasing. The weather was very similar to what we see here. Overcast with snow on the ground and a very cold temperature. I clearly remember having that excitement at being a new railfan photographer. I would have just jumped right outta the car and eagerly taken a shot. Because there really wasn’t any to speak of, I wouldn’t be drawing from any previous experience. Other than I knew I was shooting my beloved Santa Fe.

I also remember my toes being frozen at the end of the day. Why? Because I was wearing my usual tennis shoes and my feet got wet. Aren’t we always bullet-proof after turning 21… ;^)

1. AT&SF 2558 on a switch cut in Topeka, KS on January 14, 1977.
Photo by William A. Gibson (WAG) Sr.

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Art Gibson (wag216)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/23 02:56 by santafe199.

Date: 09/27/20 13:48
Re: WAG running extra (#86): A cold flashback
Author: texchief1

That shot actually makes the CF7 look good!

RC Lundgren

Date: 09/27/20 14:12
Author: PHall

Most people kinda liked the way the round cab roof CF7's looked.
The "Topeka Cab" equipped units, that's a different story!

Date: 09/27/20 14:38
Author: santafe199

PHall Wrote: > ... "Topeka Cab" ... that's a different story ...

Yeah, from behind the camera I wasn't real thrilled with those boxy monstrosities either. But as a general rule, when getting paid to ride inside a CF-7 those boxy 'old thangs' tended to have working AC a lot more often than the older style did. It goes to show how being a railroader can often clash with being a railfan... ;^)

Lance/199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/20 14:39 by santafe199.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0385 seconds