Home Open Account Help 378 users online

Nostalgia & History > Illinois Central Gulf mixed bag

Date: 09/27/20 13:01
Illinois Central Gulf mixed bag
Author: thebluecomet

A few weeks ago I posted several images of the ICG from various locations.  Here are the remaining images that didn't make the first cut.  Presented in no particular order.

1.  One of the very few GE units bought/leased by the ICG at the Markham shop in Memphis, TN.  March 31, 1977.

2.  Also there that day was this P&LE Geep.

3.  GP38 9439 working a local at Horse Branch, KY on April 7, 1977.  Horse Branch is on the Paducah-Louisville, KY line.

Date: 09/27/20 13:04
Re: Illinois Central Gulf mixed bag
Author: thebluecomet

4.  Some Paducah rebuilds at Kansas City, MO, March 20, 1976.

5. Working westbound at Iowa Falls, IA.  My notes indicated this train was on the parallel C&NW.  March 18, 1976.

Date: 09/27/20 16:12
Author: 57A26

The picture at Iowa Falls looks like the train is on the ICG tracks.  The CNW branch would go under the IC about that location.  The tracks where you were standing would've been Rock Island in 1976, becoming CNW and then UP.

Date: 09/27/20 18:57
Author: Milwaukee

Unit 9439 in the third photo is actually a GP28 vs. GP38. No many GP28's built so she was a great catch.

Thanks for sharing the ICG photos. That road had a lot of variety given the types of units they operated, the paint schemes they had (including multiple GM&O colors) and the variety of placed they operated.

Date: 09/28/20 10:38
Author: ntharalson

Correct on the 9439 being a GP28.  This engine went to the CCP and stayed in IC colors right up to the IC repurchase.  I believe it was scrapped shortly after that.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 09/28/20 10:51
Author: Rathole

That should be Johnston shop at Memphis instead of Markham.   Both the 4 axle and 6 axle GE locos were seen there pretty often with a sprinkling of Alco C636s for good measure.   

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0428 seconds