Home Open Account Help 370 users online

Nostalgia & History > Who needs color, anyhow? (pt 7)

Date: 10/21/20 08:05
Who needs color, anyhow? (pt 7)
Author: santafe199

According to this recent scan from Art’s B/W negatives the situation was getting a bit nosy on the Chicago & Illinois Midland in 1967!

1. C&IM 31 nose-to-nose with C&IM 60 in Springfield, IL in circa 1967.
2¼ square negative by William A. Gibson (WAG) Sr

Thanks for the staredown, buddy!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Art Gibson (wag216)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/20 21:23 by santafe199.

Date: 10/21/20 08:47
Re: Who needs color, anyhow? (pt 7)
Author: wjpyper

You asked, so I will answer: I do. I would always prefer color when possible.
Bill Pyper
Lacey, WA

Date: 10/21/20 09:15

THUD!

Date: 10/21/20 09:41
Author: tomstp

Di something hit the floor??

Date: 10/21/20 09:59
Author: EMDSW-1

A study in Flexicoil trucks!

SW-1

Date: 10/21/20 15:42
Author: refarkas

The beauty of black and white.
Bob

Date: 10/21/20 15:46

tomstp Wrote: > ... something hit the floor?? ...

YUP!! It was the 3rd letter of your 1st word...

;^)

Date: 10/21/20 20:03
Author: SD45X

EMDSW-1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A study in Flexicoil trucks!
>
> SW-1

And the factory low nose:)

Date: 10/21/20 21:18
Author: agentatascadero

With all the recent colorization threads here on TO, the commentary on this thread is, well, interesting, especially considering there have been discussions both ways......color to BAW, or BAW to color.  Do they each have equal plusses and minuses?  I've appreciated examples from both practices.

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 10/22/20 02:48

Did any of you yayhoos figure out that this thread title/SERIES is for posting black & white exclusively? (That's SERIES, as in recurring threads, with parts 1 thru 7 already posted... ;^). I'll bet Evan figured it out! This series allows me to post some really neat Black & White shots from Art's camera as well as B/W trader & care-taker material from the overall Gibson Collection. All of this being that from part of the collection, where there is NO color available.

And at the moment* I have no intention whatsoever to convert ANY of these images to color. Art spent many years & many railfan excursions with his late father, Bill. Art handled the B/W while Bill shot slides. And that habit carried over into his solo shooting. I'm pretty sure Art was just as comfortable shooting B/W as he was shooting Kodachrome.

Lance/199

*PS: I don't currently have the software needed to convert B/W to color. If I obtain such technology in the future then maybe I will launch an appropriate thread series. But I would think any images selected would be from a whole different set of parameters than I use for this "Who needs color, anyhow?" series.

Date: 10/22/20 03:50
Author: Roadjob

To answer your question...I don't! Obviously,lol! Color is fine for record shots, or for some great scenery, but B&W has a timeless quality that works very well with this part of TO.

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0491 seconds