Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Nostalgia & History > Couldn't shake this GP40 from the RGZ

Date: 11/15/20 07:22
Couldn't shake this GP40 from the RGZ
Author: gcm

May 79
Passed this Rio Grande GP40 3077 at least three times on this westbound trip on board the Rio Grande Zephyr.
The second shot with the lights on, it looks like the freight was passing us - not sure about that.
The third photo is just after departing the station in Glenwood Springs (can be seen to the left).

Gary

Date: 11/15/20 10:35
Re: Couldn't shake this GP40 from the RGZ
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Had that happen way back in 1977 probably. We were coming east on the RGZ and passed a Rio Grande freight in a siding. When we were stopped at the same place as in photo three I think, those guys pulled up beside us. And I have no photos of anything because of course, ' it will always be this way' !

Date: 11/15/20 10:55
Author: krm152

Excellent photos.  Scenery is awesome.   Back story is super good.
Thankas for a great posting.
ALLEN 

Date: 11/15/20 11:07
Author: wyeth

Back when we had real railroads and railroading!  Looks like the freight train (maybe a #179 Ford train?) pulled down the main to the west end of the siding while the RGZ was in the siding for the station stop.  Then the RGZ departed via the siding while the freight train waited on the main to follow the RGZ.

Date: 11/15/20 13:32
Author: WAF

I think all the meets were Train 79. About the time of the day it would be in Glenwood

Date: 11/15/20 14:16
Author: EL833

Cool stuff and some nice "open door" photos- glad you made the effort !

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

Date: 11/15/20 16:11
Author: dan

To get a view like this it must of been thru the glass of the Sky

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/20 16:12 by dan.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0573 seconds