Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Nostalgia & History > The Kaw Valley Line at Lawrence, KS

Date: 11/19/20 17:36
The Kaw Valley Line at Lawrence, KS
Author: LocoPilot750

Interesting read about the Kaw Valley Line in it's heyday. The car barn on Massachusetts St. is now the Free State Brewery a good place to eat & drink when conditions are more normal. When you go in and look up, you can still see wooden beams in the ceiling that carried the lines and in a corner by the bathroom, they have a timetable, map, and a ticket.

Date: 11/19/20 17:56
Re: The Kaw Valley Line at Lawrence, KS
Author: OSWishram

For a long time after the Kaw Valley was gone, the car barn on Massachusetts served as the Greyhound bus station.  I remember going through there when I was a student at K-State in the middle 60s, though fortunately I did not have to ride the dog very often.

I'm happy to say the first time I went to Manhattan, for a campus visit, was on the Portland Rose.  Unfortunately I did not get to ride the U.P. very often.

Bob W.
Kansas City

Date: 11/20/20 04:54
Author: atsfer

That was an interesting post....good job.

Date: 11/20/20 08:25
Author: KCRW287

Dennis, this is a neat article, is the Mosaic still intact? I need to drive over and look for it if it still there. KCRW287 

Date: 11/20/20 08:28
Author: Lackawanna484

Informative article,nicely written.

Thanks for sharing

500,000 people a year is a lot of ridership

Date: 11/20/20 12:31
Author: atsfer

last I knew it was at the front of a coffee shop.

Date: 11/20/20 14:39
Author: LocoPilot750

Yesn, the mosiac is still there, like he said, its at the coffee shop next door to Free State. They don't have the slightest idea what it was.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/21/20 06:15
Author: santafe199

As far as I've been told, The KCKV&W extension to Lawrence was completely done by 1949, as in torn out. The RR name itself was shortened to either KC&KV, or KCKV (no ampersand), depending on who you talk to.

OSWishram Wrote: > ... Unfortunately I did not get to ride the UP very often ...
Me neither! But what I did get to ride was on the other side of Manhattan, between there & Abilene maybe 3-4 times...

Lance

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0344 seconds