Home Open Account Help 387 users online

Nostalgia & History > Noon at Naperville -- Part 3

Date: 11/20/20 13:08
Noon at Naperville -- Part 3
Author: MartyBernard

INTRODUCTION:  A. C. Kalmbach spent hours one mid-day at Naperville shooting trains on the CB&Q 3-track mainline (aka., racetrack).  Sets of 35mm slides were produced from them and sold by Blackhawk Films and called "Noon at Naperville".  No date is given.  My guess is circa 1960.  As you will see the captions, which I'll put in quotes, are not railfan type captions.  I'll add roster and other information where I can.

The quality of the Blackhawk duplicates and the years gone by have left the slides quite blue.  Eliminating the blue has not left much color, but I did my best.  The slides would not sharpen up much.

Published with permission.

NOTE: Several commenters have said the series was taken before 1955.

1.  "Kansas City Zephyr passes freight on curve."   Circa 1960, A. C. Kalmbach photo.

2. "Newest of Burlington's fleet, Kansas City Zephyr, uses the Kansas City short cut."  9962ABC were bought for the California Zephyr in October 1947. They were F3A, F3B, and F3A.  Circa 1960, A. C. Kalmbach photo.

3.  "All three main tracks are signalled in both directions."  Circa 1960, A. C. Kalmbach photo.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/20 19:22 by MartyBernard.

Date: 11/20/20 13:09
Re: Noon at Naperville -- Part 3
Author: MartyBernard

4. "Wooded cemetary east of town offers a fine place to relax on a spring day and watch the trains go by."  Circa 1960, A. C. Kalmbach photo.

Enjoy,
Marty Bernard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/20 13:11 by MartyBernard.

Date: 11/20/20 16:05
Author: UP951West

Marty, thanks for posting Naperville part three. In the last photo caption you mention the wooded cemetary east of Naperville. My grandfather is buried there. --Kelly

Date: 11/20/20 16:36
Author: Milwaukee

More great stuff. It sure doesn't look like that any longer but then again it's only been 60 years. There definitely weren't many trees there at the time. The growth of the trees surrounding the track at those points in the line may result in more of a change to this view today than homes have.

Thank you for this series. I look forward to the next edition.

Date: 11/20/20 19:59
Author: BuddPullman

The slides look great.  Always good to see the Kansas City Zephyr.  Thank you.

Date: 11/21/20 00:59
Author: krm152

CB&Q passenger F3 scheme is my favorite F-Unit paint scheme.
They look absolutely great.
Thanks for the posting.
ALLEN

Date: 11/21/20 07:58
Author: towazy

UP951West Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Marty, thanks for posting Naperville part three.
> In the last photo caption you mention the wooded
> cemetary east of Naperville. My grandfather is
> buried there. --Kelly

i live in a subdivision right next to that cemetary and along the tracks, walking distance to the train station. it's named St Peter and Paul Cemetary, owned by the Catholic Church of the same name a few blocks away. It was built in the mid 90s. I drive over the bridge seen in some of the photos at least twice every day, although it was replaced by a modern structure many years ago,sometime in the 90s I believe.

Tom

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0526 seconds