Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Nostalgia & History > Santa Fe Sunday

Date: 11/22/20 06:56
Santa Fe Sunday
Author: WichitaJct

Looks like # 12 was running in two sections on this day as the 86 has green flags. Photo at Lawrence, Kansas by Gildersleeve. No date. 

Date: 11/22/20 07:20
Re: Santa Fe Sunday
Author: santafe199

Nice piece of history! Gotta be circa 1960s, or earlier. With the green flags/extra section scenario I wonder if SFe was running a football special?! Say... a trainload of Sooner maniacs from Norman, OK descending on Lawrence for a pigskin match with the Jayhawks. Santa Fe was known to run such football specials, and the foliage in this shot certainly suggests autumn has arrived...

Lance

Date: 11/22/20 07:35
Author: NiceHandTick

santafe199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice piece of history! Gotta be circa 1960s, or
> earlier. With the green flags/extra section
> scenario I wonder if SFe was running a football
> special?! Say... a trainload of Sooner maniacs
> from Norman, OK descending on Lawrence for a
> pigskin match with the Jayhawks. Santa Fe was
> known to run such football specials, and the
> foliage in this shot certainly suggests autumn has
> arrived...
>
> Lance

Lance

In 1960, my brother took me from Newton KS to Norman Oklahoma on the Texas Chief with a trainload of Tiger fans from Mizzou.  Mizzou was undefeated in the next to last game and at that game Mizzou won 41-19 and ran all over the sooners!  By the end of the day Mizzou was number one in the land!  Caught the train after the game back to Newton KANSAS.

This was a great, great day for all of Humanity.  The next week Kansas beat Mizzou to knock them out of Number 1.  Later Kansas forfeited the game for using ineligible Players.  Kansas in 1960 played 4 teams that were Number 1 at the time they played them.  The teams were Nebraska, Iowa, Syracuse and Missouri !!!  I bet no team has done that before!  1960 was a merry go around in the rankings.  Not anything like today, where all the top players go to just 7 or 8 top teamsa and the rest have zero chance.

Date: 11/22/20 07:41
Author: ats90mph

Is that the "infamous curve" where Amtrak would derail years later?

Date: 11/22/20 07:50

"I wonder if SFe was running a football special"

That would be my guess too. 

Date: 11/22/20 07:50

atsf90mph Wrote: > ... Is that the "infamous curve" ...
It is indeed, although I'm not sure exactly where on this curve #4's lead unit left the rails...

NiceHandTick Wrote: > ... all the top players go to just 7 or 8 top teams and the rest have zero chance ...
I hear ya there, my friend! It's become all politics & big business, to the tune of a few $billion a year...

:^(

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/20 07:56 by santafe199.

Date: 11/22/20 07:53

"Is that the "infamous curve" where Amtrak would derail years later?"

Yes

Date: 11/22/20 07:55

"This was a great, great day for all of Humanity."

It's always a good day when Mizzou is beaten.

Date: 11/22/20 09:03
Author: tomstp

It looks like there was 4 E units on the train.  Unusual.

Date: 11/22/20 09:12
Author: retcsxcfm

Looks like a lot of HE cars for it to be a football special.
On the other hand,E units were rare on the ATSF passenger
trains.So my guess,from way down in Florida.I don't know either.

Uncle Joe
Seffner,Fl.

Date: 11/22/20 09:23
Author: refarkas

Beautiful scene.
Bob

Date: 11/22/20 09:47

retcsxcfm Wrote: > ...  Looks like a lot of HE cars for it to be a football  ...

Uncle Joe: NO ONE IS SAYING THIS TRAIN IS A FOOTBALL SPECIAL!!!
All I did was speculate that because of the green flags and maybe the time of the year, that Santa Fe might be running a football special, presumably as a following section. Train #12's scheduled would certainly have been convenient for a Saturday afternoon contest on the KU campus...

Lance/199

Date: 11/22/20 10:40
Author: KCRW287

Great picture with the E units and green flags. I went on a football special in 1970, Topeka to Norman OK. Lynn Dickey and K State beat Oklahoma, great game and train trip. KCRW287

Date: 11/22/20 11:49
Author: Evan_Werkema

WichitaJct Wrote:

> Photo at Lawrence, Kansas by Gildersleeve. No date. 

If this is from Gildersleeve's duplicate slide set No.163, then the photographer was Imre Quastler.  I don't own the set but have the notes that accompanied it.  Unfortunately, they don't give lead locomotive numbers, and there are two slides of No.12 at Lawrence in the set: slide 5 was taken November 7, 1965, and slide 6 was taken November 19, 1965.

Date: 11/23/20 04:56
Author: texchief1

Nice shot!

RC Lundgren
Elgin, TX

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0504 seconds