Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Nostalgia & History > Some curve side action. Bending trains makes cool photos

Date: 12/02/20 04:14
Some curve side action. Bending trains makes cool photos
Author: Roadjob

Drama in the diesel era has always been a challenge. The internal combustion engine put all the working parts out of sight, so the photographer had to make adjustments for effective shooting. A personal favorite was finding curves with super elevation, or any curve that tilted the tons. Built by railroads when there was a need for speed gave some drama to twists and turns the roads needed to keep the varnish, or fast freights on the advertised. That need diminished over time, and as speed differed to tonnage, those twists came back to Earth in many cases, because of maintaining the extra tilt in the curve. Curves are as much a part of railroading as the trains that run on them.So, a photo visit today of curves, super and not.

top...a personal favorite was the eastbound curve on Sand Patch at Glencoe Pa. 1971

middle...One of the best, and still there. Eastbound at South Fork Pa. 1978

bottom... Ex Erie EL main east of Binghamton had many super elevated curves. Westbound Croxton 99. Eastbound main was being pulled up in the summer of 1973 as much traffic was being shifted to the former Lackawanna main through Scranton.

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/20 08:14 by Roadjob.

Date: 12/02/20 04:20
Re: Some curve side action. Bending trains makes cool photos
Author: Roadjob

top...not only a curve, but yes a grade crossing on the NEC, 1973 Chase Md.

middle...twists and turns for effect. Eastbound climbing west slope of Sand Patch at Fort Hill Pa.

bottom... curtain was coming down on Western Maryland when this shot was taken in 1976. eastbound drag coming into Williamsport Md. Units in background are the Williamsport helper, that will shove the train into Hagerstown. WM not represented at all on home rails by this point in time.

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/20 10:24 by Roadjob.

Date: 12/02/20 05:33
Author: jmbreitigan

Nice series Bill. I was in the area of Fort Hill, PA. a few weeks ago & things have changed over the years.
John

Date: 12/02/20 05:38
Author: Bob3985

Great photos. When I saw your first photo with all the brake smoke the first thought that came to mind was Sand Patch grade.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 12/02/20 05:38
Author: refarkas

First-rate set. My favorite is the GG1 at the grade crossing.
Bob

Date: 12/02/20 06:32
Author: SCKP187

Certainly a great bunch of action shots--curves do make super locations.  Really cool to see all the brake shoe smoke, and even a high nose unit.
Brian Stevens

Date: 12/02/20 07:47
Author: jkh2cpu

That first shot really opens the eyes!  Fine photos all.

John.

Date: 12/02/20 08:52
Author: ClubCar

As usual, all great photos and I do enjoy the B&O photos as always; however, I really enjoyed the photo of the Amtrak train on the former Pennsylvania Railroad at the grade crossing.  All of those crossings are long gone, but I sure do remember them.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 12/02/20 09:41
Author: Ritzville

Great bunch of curve shots! Always fun to see the trains leaning into the curve.

Larry

Date: 12/02/20 13:24
Author: WM1977

Story on the B&O was that they had to take some of the elevation out of those curves because of the new (at the time) hi-cube covered hoppers. The new covered hoppers used for grain service had a higher center of gravity and between certain speeds (13-24 mph I think) would tend to "rock off". The curve elevation didn't help nor did the lack of some track maintenance. As for the WM power on the WM at the time, even as late as 1978-79 the WM guys would try and keep "their" power on "their" railroad. Saw plenty of WM units at Port Covington during that time. After 79 everything seemed to go to crap for them..

Charlie

Date: 12/02/20 19:22
Author: EL833

Nice one's Bill- you know me, the EL one is the fav. That was a lot of power for even the hotshot CX99.

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1127 seconds