Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Nostalgia & History > Elko Before the Track Realignment

Date: 01/04/21 22:36
Elko Before the Track Realignment
Author: bkban

Piggybacking on the discussion of trains in Elko, Nevada, I came across this photo I took in June 1981 from a Stockmen's Hotel balcony.  It shows a west bound SP coming through the middle of town - this was before the rail realignment of the shared east-west SP/WP tracks.  The east bound track was located on the south side of the Stockmen's Hotel and trains were constantly blocking vehicle and pedestrian traffic.  As I remember, a great Basque restaurant and Elko's red-light district were south of the east bound track.  Our trip to Elko was on Amtrak.  Somewhere buried I have a picture of both of Elko's two train station's.   

Date: 01/04/21 22:47
Re: Elko Before the Track Realignment
Author: RailRat

More Please!
I used to know Stockmens well, did thier Pest Control from about 1997 to 1995, got to know the porter there named Tex, a real down to earth guy!

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 01/05/21 09:11
Author: callum_out

Took my MSHA Underground classes at the Stockman.

Out 

Date: 01/05/21 09:23
Author: railstiesballast

A wonderful time stamp of 1981 autos and trucks too.

Date: 01/05/21 11:05
Author: spider1319

Definately a winner.Thanks for sharing.Bill Webb

Date: 01/05/21 20:42
Author: JDLX

I parked in that parking lot yesterday.  Looks a bit different now....

Thanks for the pictures, and to RailRat for the videos.  I always enjoy these looks back at the place I now call home. 

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

Date: 01/05/21 21:28
Author: RailRat

JDLX Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I parked in that parking lot yesterday.  Looks a
> bit different now....
>
> Thanks for the pictures, and to RailRat for the
> videos.  I always enjoy these looks back at the
> place I now call home. 
>
> Jeff Moore
> Elko, NV

Thanks for the picture JD, looks like city of Elko stepped things up a bit for thier Centennial, do u have a picture of that Elko tower at night? I remember the WP geep and caboose, but don't recall the semaphores or tower.

There must be an interesting story behind that RR signal preservation and eventual placement there?

After working there for about 4 years out of Twin Falls, Idaho, and then moving and living in Elko for about 1 year, I came up with a slogan: "Elko is Swellko".

Plus thanks to bkban for posting this thread!

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0419 seconds