Home Open Account Help 222 users online

Nostalgia & History > History of a station

Date: 01/14/21 17:13
History of a station
Author: tomstp

The T&P suffered a  passenger station disaster  fire on it's large "back in" passenger station in Ft Worth.  It was repaired but was always a problem since it was not double ended.  In addition it was next to T&P's downtown yard making switching difficult.  So, they decided to replace it and started a new station in 1929 (2nd picture) and completed it in 1931,  that could be entered from both ends..  At the same time they were moving the freight yards  2.5 miles west of town "out in the country"' but now in the middle of town with UP running it.

At one time MKT, Rock Island (later moved to the Santa Fe station), Missouri Pacific, Ft Worth and Denver, and  Cotton Belt  shared use of the station along with T&P dispatchers, and the general offices of the T&P.  The large station still exists with part being condominiums but still being used for commuter trains and trains to DFW airport.  You still can walk underneath the the tracks and up stairs to board your train.

Date: 01/14/21 18:28
Re: History of a station
Author: tomstp

Just a thought:  people used to have a lot more fun at fires and train wrecks didn't they!

Date: 01/14/21 19:33
Author: Hou74-76

That fire reminds me a lot of Dearborn (Polk St) station in Chicago when it burned.  The T&P depot is such a masterpiece of ArtDeco style.  Fort Worth is lucky to have it.

Date: 01/14/21 21:00
Author: rrman6

In the fire image at the mid-righthand location, am I seeing a man atop the pole with a camera?   And are those people on the flat roof below him fleeing the fire?  No hope left for the structure at that moment!

Date: 01/15/21 00:26
Author: mp51w

Al Hayne memorial, also due to a fire, sits prominently in the middle of the picture. 

Date: 01/15/21 05:51
Author: PVSfan

Tom:
This article by the Ft. Worth historian who writes the blog Hometown by Handlebar complements your posted
photos:
T&P depots in Ft. Worth over time

Besides the various incarnations of the T&P depot, there were other depots in Ft. Worth:

Union Depot (mainly used by Santa Fe and SP)--still stands
Cotton Belt depot north of the Trinity River
Hemphill St. station (used by the FtW&RG/Frisco)

Years ago I found a photo of a very early FW&DC depot that looked like two wood boxcars placed end to end.
Wish I find that again.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0354 seconds