Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Nostalgia & History > Penn Central mixed bag

Date: 02/21/21 10:51
Penn Central mixed bag
Author: thebluecomet

A mixed bag of Penn Central things that have been lingering in my files.

1.  GG-1 4855 and a friend rolling through Columbia, PA. 1975

2.  A pair of MP54's covering "The Dinky" sit at the Princeton, NJ station.  The tracks were moved further out from town in recent years to make room for the University's expansion plans.  BTW, this is not Princeton Junction, but the end of the short Princeton-Princeton Jct. branch.  March 1975.

3.  A scabby looking E8 on a local at Bay Head, NJ.  These units would run up to South Amboy and swap with a GG-1 for remainder of the train's trip to New York.  October 1974.

Date: 02/21/21 10:57
Re: Penn Central mixed bag
Author: thebluecomet

These three were taken by Ron Montgomery and were all at Fort Monmouth, NJ.  The PC car number 7 has been white-lined and the PRR painted car has had most of its markings removed.  Would anyone know the current status of these cars?  Photos from 1975.  Several Army hospital cars would often be parked on base which sat along the North Jersey Coast Line between Red Bank and Little Silver.  The base closed several years ago and the sidings are no longer in use.

Date: 02/21/21 11:26
Author: MacBeau

Love that first image.
—Mac

Date: 02/21/21 15:16
Author: WrongMain

Never was a big fan of PennCentral, but shots like these could change my mind!

Date: 02/21/21 17:09
Author: wcamp1472

Photo 3:
Ex-PRR " Mountain View"?

Twin to "Tower View".... last cars on the tail-end of the " Broadway"... until the train was discontinued.

W. 

Date: 02/21/21 19:40
Author: New773

I’m not sure if it’s the same car or not. It looks like a 7 on the side in your picture with a white line through it. Mad River Nickel Plate Museum has a car painted as Penn Central 7 on its grounds. Note the small “formerly” above the Penn Central name.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/21 16:32 by New773.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1074 seconds