Home Open Account Help 212 users online

Nostalgia & History > Maroon Monday . . .

Date: 02/22/21 07:11
Maroon Monday . . .
Author: 3rdswitch

.   .   .   forty eight years ago, this was the view looking WEST!* changed! I knew that! east down the joint ICG former GM&O Santa Fe main at Joliet Union Station, Joliet, IL, as either and inbound or outbound commuter banged through the interlocking, I don't recall. Definately the good old days of fanning, not necessarily for the railroads.
JB

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/21 11:17 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 02/22/21 08:03
Re: Maroon Monday . . .
Author: valmont

Lots to see in this one!

Date: 02/22/21 08:09
Author: ntharalson

I would argue this is looking railroad west.  Which ever, it's a nice shot, thanks for posting.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 02/22/21 08:13
Author: Conch

Excellent view. Hard to imagine that it was almost a half century ago, but then the Rock's been gone for over 40 years!  How'd that happen?

Date: 02/22/21 08:49
Author: robj

ntharalson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would argue this is looking railroad west. 
> Which ever, it's a nice shot, thanks for
> posting.  
>
> Nick Tharalson,
> Marion, IA

Thats a nice view, not the usual but
West for sure and you could easily say  down Santa Fe main  line but to be nitpicky it would be ex GM & O, ICG line.

Bob

Date: 02/22/21 09:59
Author: Bob3985

Physically this shot is facing south and the two tracks with the platform are the ATSF westbound to the right and the eastbound to the left.
The two mainline tracks to the left of them are the GM&O southbound and the GM&O northbound.
The Rock Island runs east to west here.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/21 10:00 by Bob3985.

Date: 02/22/21 11:11
Author: bnsfsd70

Really nice shot here.  A whoolllllllle lot has changed here in the intervening years, but unlike a lot of junctions, every line shown still hosts some amount of traffic still.

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 02/22/21 12:27
Author: refarkas

I was there about a dozen times and never thought to take a photo looking this way. First-class scenic.
Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0695 seconds