Home Open Account Help 259 users online

Nostalgia & History > And just when you think it can't get worse!

Date: 02/28/21 04:43
And just when you think it can't get worse!
Author: Roadjob

Anyone who has had the experience of being around Winter in the Binghamton NY area will relate to this adventure. As my friend  and legendary railroad photographer, the late JJ Young used to say, "we have 10 days of Summer here, and the rest of the year is open for suggestions." Binghamton and the Southern Tier of New York would test the railroads continuously. Freezing cold, snow storm after storm, and the inherent problems of trying to move trains in it were chronic conditions that were guaranteed. The D&H main between Binghamton and Albany was the ultimate test for the crews that plied this line. Just getting in and out of Binghamton was an adventure with the Belden Hill grade factoring in for both north and southbounds. Case in point for today. Mr. Young and I weathered a blizzard in 1983. What I should say is that I was stuck in Binghamton, John lived there. Conditions were so bad that while us two fools were trudging through  the storm, the city declared an emergency, and ordered everyone off the streets at night. We ventured forth the next day, and the railroads, {Conrail and D&H} were virtually paralysed. Things began creaking into motion late in the morning, and the first thing to move was what you see in the photo. A southbound had literally ground to a halt coming down Beldon Hill towards the town. The train piled up so much snow in front of it, that the train was left standing and the crew relieved. What you are looking at is the two U33Cs that were sent to rescue it, and bring it down to the yard at East Binghamton. Crews had been dispatched earlier to dig the train out. I think this photo says a lot about what Winter up there looked like!

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/21 04:45 by Roadjob.

Date: 02/28/21 05:14
Re: And just when you think it can't get worse!
Author: march_hare

About that time, an ex girlfriend got fed up with my photography hobby and said that my camera should be put where the sun don't shine.

So I got in the car and went to Binghamton.  Good suggestion, that.

Date: 02/28/21 06:13
Author: rrpreservation

Incredible shot!!

Date: 02/28/21 06:50
Author: tomcough

I actually have a shot taken in Binghamton in perfect sunlight. Just one:)

Tom Coughlin
Stow, MA

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/28/21 08:07
Author: perklocal

Wow ! That photo makes my teeth chatter.  Those U33Cs were more used to pushing trains up Belden Hill than pulling them down.

Date: 02/28/21 09:26
Author: gcm

A stunning winter shot !
Gary

Date: 03/01/21 08:00
Author: santafe199

Brrr!!! Who's turn is it to go dig out that switch...

:^/

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0463 seconds