Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Nostalgia & History > Black Lives Matter

Date: 04/13/21 09:53
Black Lives Matter
Author: dan

alt title    it was all crap then       

a look at   Jim Crow litigation   

Mitchel vs  the United States

https://encyclopediaofarkansas.net/entries/mitchell-v-united-states-6277/?fbclid=IwAR0ntmMYLXSDPGsPhl38iVVE6t34FVcNiirJ_czRtB5Z29fkMx9ekqbitsk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/21 10:00 by dan.

Date: 04/13/21 10:34
Re: Black Lives Matter
Author: Searat

Blatant racism like that documented in this case was endemic in the ranks of railroaders in freight as well as passenger service, well into the '70s when I hired out.  Over the years it was driven underground, but it clearly endured under the surface if you cared to look at it and not just look away.  We may have come a long way, but there is still a long way to go.

Date: 04/13/21 11:53
Author: jgilmore

Searat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Blatant racism like that documented in this case
> was endemic in the ranks of railroaders in freight
> as well as passenger service, well into the '70s
> when I hired out.  Over the years it was driven
> underground, but it clearly endured under the
> surface if you cared to look at it and not just
> look away.  We may have come a long way, but
> there is still a long way to go.

Soooo true, and the fact that it's still here is hitting people in the face every day. It's sad that so much of this country's establishment was so racist against this man, but at least the racist Supreme Court had the graciousness to call him a Negro, as opposed to the horrible railroad conductor. Railroad companies are among some of the worst offenders in history in this regard and it's too bad there wasn't a way to make them pay reparations like others have, though they all would like to act like they've always had a social conscience...

On a related note, sometimes I feel embarrassed to enjoy a hobby that's basically all-white, male dominated and often unwelcoming to outsiders, though it's changed a little through the years and I haven't encountered blatant racism among fans, but I have among several rails I've talked to. My black wife jokes about me doing railfanning things as "spending time with my whitey brethren." 

Thanks for posting this interesting account, even people here need reminders about their white heritage...

JG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/21 12:18 by jgilmore.

Date: 04/13/21 12:13
Author: SPDRGWfan

Sadly, I don't think it will ever totally end in our present day human condition; man kind is hopelessly fallen and only a higher power will ulimately be able to address this with finality, and so many other social ills.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/21 12:14 by SPDRGWfan.

Date: 04/13/21 12:16
Author: Lackawanna484

The Naples FL rail depot has been renovated as a town museum, with emphasis on the railroad history of the area. Among the renovated rooms is the Negro Waiting Room.  There's a clear description of the legally mandated separation many Americans had to endure, both in the North and in the South.  The tavern lounge observation car outside has a low divider with curtains separating the last two tables from the rest of the car.  No mention as to what the historical relevance of that separator might be. Perhaps that will be added in a future updating of the car.

Understanding the past is often essential to understanding the present.  BLM, Black Panthers, Proud Boys, and Oath Keepers, etc didn't just materialize out of thin air. They all arose from hopes and dreams denied or smashed.

Date: 04/13/21 18:15
Author: mundo

Thinking of fans back in the 1950's the Old Railway Club of Sou Cal had one black member Craig, a LACity employee.

Somewhere out on on a tour, group went into eat lunch and the cafe refused. So John the leader, said, will you do not need our business and departed!. Why loss a buss load tour group.?

Back in the 1960's when I and wife were in charge of the 18 special trains to the Ramona Pageant at Hemet CA, the senior chair car attendants wanted the assignments, because they were treated so well and got the same dinner that every one of the 500 passengers did.. Snack car and two lounge car staff got the same.   Thank You's and respect went a long way in the service provided. .

Ed

Date: 04/13/21 20:06
Author: atsf121

As a father of both Black and white children, it is hard to fathom how poorly some of my kids would have been treated a generation ago. And it infuriates me to no end that there are still people dumb enough to believe some of those same disposable ideas today.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0404 seconds