Home Open Account Help 300 users online

Nostalgia & History > Butte, MT winter on the North Coast Hiawatha

Date: 04/22/21 14:29
Butte, MT winter on the North Coast Hiawatha
Author: Railpax71

January 1976 entering Butte aboard the North Coast Hiawatha we see the former Milwaukee Road stub station and tower in use by TV station KXLF. Lots of steam in the cold on the platform, and a view out the end of my sleeping car.

Date: 04/22/21 18:10
Re: Butte, MT winter on the North Coast Hiawatha
Author: santafe199

With 23 years spent in the Big Sky I know how cold that scene really is! I explored & shot around downtown Butte back in '88, so my inclination is to label this as eastbound train #10?? Or am I turned around. It wouldn't be the first time... ;^)

Lance/199

Date: 04/22/21 18:18
Author: Hou74-76

Others may not agree, but a darn shame that this train got discontinued. I am glad you had the photos to post.

Date: 04/22/21 18:30
Author: Railpax71

Yes, this was eastbound #10 in these shots. I rode the NP-BN North Coast Limited and Amtrak NCH frequently. More scans from summer trips coming.

Date: 04/22/21 21:14
Author: czephyr17

That sure brings back memories. The track on the right in the third picture is where the UP “Butte Special” to and from Salt Lake City used to arrive and depart from until it was discontinued on Amtrak day.

I rode #10 through Butte on January 6, 1976 on a trip from Spokane to Minneapolis. Our lead unit was Amtrak 573, so it was obviously not the same day as your photo here. We detoured over the Milwaukee between Sappington and Miles City, MT due to the previous day’s #10 derailing near Rosebud, MT (due to a broken rail as I recall). Between that detour, and another 7 hour delay in Jamestown, ND due to a broken wheel on a coal train ahead of us, we ended up over 18 hours late in Minneapolis. I remember it being -22 degrees when we left Jamestown. Going across Minnesota, the steam heat was not working on one side of our coach, there was a thick layer of ice inside the window frame.

Those were the days!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/23/21 01:43
Author: RodneyZona

Old NP RR Billings, MT based passenger train crews worked to and from Butte, MT. Livingston, MT. based engine crews worked to and from Butte, MT. 

Date: 04/23/21 02:56
Author: mp51w

Here's my 1977 instamatic type photo from #10 as we climbed out of Butte.  I remember thinking at the time, it was a dramatic ascent!

Date: 04/23/21 08:38
Author: ntharalson

Yes it is, but the descent is even more so.  I did it twice and never got a good shot.  Thanks for posting.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 04/23/21 14:18
Author: MichiganRailfan

I agree, but with Homestake Pass mothballed for so long I figure any reincarnation of the NCH is going to go the Mainstreeter route via Helena.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0387 seconds