Home Open Account Help 359 users online

Nostalgia & History > Westward the Rails

Date: 05/06/21 05:46
Westward the Rails
Author: CNW8531

The tracks stretch out westward ahead of us.  We're trying to get to Missouri Valley on an intermodel train to complete our trip.  We're 198 miles into our 323 mile run, and currently stopped at Boone, Iowa.  The conductor has walked over to Hy-Vee (grocery store) for more supplies.  I stay on board to keep the train attended and man the radio. In the meantime this eastbound coal train passes us on the adjacent track.  Soon after the conductor returns and we get the signal to head west once again.  This trip from my working days was back on 9/11/99.  So much has changed since then but that's another story.

Date: 05/06/21 06:53
Re: Westward the Rails
Author: refarkas

Great progression - You photographically tied the shots together well from farthest to closest.
Bob

Date: 05/06/21 07:01
Author: 3rdswitch

Really nice. 323 miles is quite a run.
JB

Date: 05/06/21 07:10
Author: JasonCNW

Before I had a car in my teens I would railfan a lot from that exact spot, was only a block from my house.
JC

Posted from Android

Date: 05/06/21 07:44
Author: SP8595

Neat story with Awesome shots! Such a Great looking coal train.

Date: 05/06/21 09:15
Author: cabman

Nice shots, Angus.  I'm surprised at the undulation there in Boone.

Date: 05/06/21 09:18
Author: gcm

Great shots and story.
Gary

Date: 05/06/21 19:31
Author: JasonCNW

cabman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice shots, Angus.  I'm surprised at the
> undulation there in Boone.

His camera lens really enhances it but yes from the yard west to the high bridge it is downhill. Quite a few times cars that were not tied down properly have rolled out and derailed at that switch.
JC

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0437 seconds