Home Open Account Help 394 users online

Nostalgia & History > Fogg's ABBB UP F's and stock cars from Tower A

Date: 06/09/21 08:32
Fogg's ABBB UP F's and stock cars from Tower A
Author: valmont

Here's an undated Howard Fogg shot as an eastbound UP train is entering the Cheyenne yard. The C&S bridge is above and 'The Perch' is on the embankment just to the left of the bridge. UP #1457 is in the lead with 3 B units and stock cars following. The weather wasn't great but the scene was definitely worth a shot!! The elevated angle of this picture and the shed roof in the foreground would mean that Howard took this shot from tower A. 

Here's what 'mamfahr' added in a previous posting:
"I believe the photo was taken from Tower A. The eastward train is crossing over from main 2 heading for the yard, and probably entering the yard via the eastbound freight main (the "right-hand" of the 2 yard leads). I've heard that the employee in Tower A would show a number out the west window of the tower to indicate to the trains' head-end crews the track they should line themselves into in the yard. That track assignment was provided via a phone call from the yardmaster's office. The number would have been right beneath the photographer in this case."

Date: 06/09/21 09:21
Re: Fogg's ABBB UP F's and stock cars from Tower A
Author: refarkas

What a great historical scene!
Bob

Date: 06/09/21 09:55
Author: raytc1944

Solid F unit consist with a solid stock extra.  I love it!

Date: 06/09/21 11:36
Author: Conch

Those F's look pretty weary.  Probably near the end of their careers.  And any image with stock cars is a plus in my book.

Date: 06/10/21 06:52
Author: Bob3985

Howard captured a great image here and so worthy of one of his great paintings.
An eastbound arriving in Cheyenne.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/21 10:27 by Bob3985.

Date: 06/10/21 15:47
Author: texchief1

NIce shot even with the grungy locos!

RC Lundgren
Elgin, TX

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0366 seconds