Home Open Account Help 359 users online

Nostalgia & History > When leased power was more common on CSX's River Line

Date: 06/14/21 08:14
When leased power was more common on CSX's River Line
Author: pbrasky

When CSX first took over Conrail, one of the exciting things about railfanning was the frequency of trains.  The other was the thrill of seeing foreign power whereas in the Conrail era, virtually all was blue.  Here are three such examples, the first at CP 90 and the first SP unit I'd seen in the area.  Second is a HLCX unit at Northeast Solite, which makes concrete products.*  If I'm not mistaken, it was later taken out of service because of a leaking fuel tank.  Last is a SCL unit in North Yard.  If I'm not mistaken, she may have been the last of her kind in that paint scheme.

*Tissal Road is a private crossing by which trucks and automobiles enter the plant.  It was ungated/unsignalled then and was often the scene of vehicle - train encounters of the worst kind.

Date: 06/14/21 09:12
Re: When leased power was more common on CSX's River Line
Author: SP8595

That Familt Lines/CSXT GE is pretty cool!

Date: 06/14/21 09:33
Author: refarkas

Great colorful lashups.
Bob

Date: 06/14/21 09:40
Author: pbrasky

Although the Family Lines unit looked ratty, she was a pleasure to operate.  I've a second photo of her that I'll post tomorrow.

As for the colorful consists, I asked the engineer of the SP unit where those units came from, but he had no idea.  Selkirk maybe or Chicago I'm guessing.  While UP units are seen even now on tank trains (saw one the other day) and perhaps others too, the pictured SP unit was the only one I've ever seen locally.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0298 seconds