Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Nostalgia & History > Forty Friday

Date: 06/18/21 06:22
Forty Friday
Author: WichitaJct

I suppose this photo belongs on the Western Board and not Nostalgia and History since it was taken fairly recently. But to me there’s something nostalgic about SD40-2s, mainly because they are mostly assigned to locals and yard duty and rarely seen (around here anyway) outside those environs. The UP Lawrence (Ks.) local consistently ran for years with two four-axle units, usually some combination of GP15/GP38/GP40/GP60. That all changed last year. Six-axle units starting showing up regularly—GEs from UP, KCS, and BNSF. SD70s too—UP and NS. And SD40-2s became regular power. Lately the Lawrence local has again been running with an SD40-2 and a four-axle unit. That’s just fine with me. UP 1782 on the point of the Lawrence local heading back to Topeka, 3 June 2020.

Date: 06/18/21 07:10
Re: Forty Friday
Author: santafe199

WichitaJct Wrote: > ...  there’s something nostalgic about SD40-2s ...

That's very true. And that's an emotion I'll bet you (& I) never thought we'd feel about them. In turn, I'm betting the generation ahead of us =for example: Art Gibson & his comtemporaries= never thought they would ever look at F-units as being nostalgic. And you gotta know: someday railfans, probably as yet unborn, will look back at tier-4 units as nostalgic pieces of antique history! It's as inevitable as death & taxes...

Lance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/21 07:11 by santafe199.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0396 seconds