Home Open Account Help 211 users online

Nostalgia & History > The last three of my #614 slides

Date: 07/21/21 15:46
The last three of my #614 slides
Author: pbrasky

Here are the last of my #614 slides.  The middle one has NYS & W #142 "leading" #614 in a run by.  All were taken at Port Jervis, N.Y. between 1997 and 1998.  Hope you like them!

Date: 07/21/21 16:02
Re: The last three of my #614 slides
Author: santafe199

I sure wish I'd have gotten a chance to see the 614 in person... Good looking machine! And I like the train order hoop scene. I did that myself a few times during my career...

Lance/199

Date: 07/21/21 16:15
Author: refarkas

Thanks for sharing these. I, too, really like the photo of the train orders being hooped up.
Bob

Date: 07/21/21 16:23

Thank you, gentlemen!  And yes, #614 is indeed big, which you can appreciate when you're [standing] in the Port Jervis turntable pit with the locomotive above and behind you.  (We were there to celebrate her "birthday" in October, 1998 and for a group photo by a national news magazine I think. There was even a cake.)

Date: 07/21/21 16:32
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE series!!

Larry

Date: 07/21/21 18:01
Author: boejoe

Is fellow T.O. member Ross Rowland sitting in the engineer seat in photo 1?

Date: 07/22/21 05:40

Yes, that's Ross.  Once again, I'd like to thank him for the memories.

Date: 07/22/21 07:20
Author: Frisco1522

I thought that was Ross catching the orders.  Are they backing up?

Date: 07/22/21 08:17
Author: pal77

Great memories   I got to see the 614 blasting up the Main Line at Ramsey doing every bit of track speed with a healthy consist of maybe 15 cars.  Prior to that I had only seen steam in service at slow speeds, all I can say is wow what a show she put on.  

Date: 07/30/21 07:50
Author: Gonut1

I first saw 614 sitting in Wayne Junction, Philadelphia. My two sons and I were on a Septa Silverliner when it made an unscheduled stop next to 614 where the conductor said, " Take a look at the coal powered train". We next saw it sitting in Ivyland where it sat waiting for interchange to the New Hope and Ivyland. I couldn't believe how many adults and kids were climbing all over and around the engine! So much so I din't bother to take any photos. She eventualkly got to New Hope where she was returned to service and shipped out to Jersey Transit for ecursion service. The huge 614 looked very out of place on the former Reading branch line, NH&I tourist railroad.
Some time later I had my two sons, then little ballast throwing kids,in Otisville, New York to witness 614 pulling about 24, fully packed passenger cars, past the station platform at probably 60MPH, having just crested the mountain and popping out of the Otisville tunnel. I had my camcorder on a tripod and was shooting 35mm and lucky the tripod didn't fall over when the 614 blasted past. It wobbled but stood, A really great video. The following year we returned hoping for a repeat performance. We set up on the Bowser Road bridge at Howell's, NY and after a much delayed arrival behind the NYS&W 142, the entire train rolled to a stop below us. We were all fighting with the last light of the day to record the scene, After about ten minutes Ross got the show moving again. Even with a scanner we had no clue what was going on. Some time later I read where the 614 had received a load of bad coal and it was clinkers in the firebox causing poor steaming.
Yes, Thank you Ross for a couple great shows. 
Gonut

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0492 seconds