Home Open Account Help 373 users online

Nostalgia & History > Thursday in B&W (vol #1): MILW!

Date: 08/05/21 14:09
Thursday in B&W (vol #1): MILW!
Author: santafe199

I just threw some spaghetti at the wall, to see if it sticks. In other words I’m proposing a new community series for Thursdays called “Thursday in B&W” (+ subject). That’s black and white, for those of you who were born with a mouse and a keyboard and a digital camera already in your cribs... ;^)

And look out below! This is my 2nd break today from my RR image file tedium. As I ran across these B/W images while updating my MILW folder they looked really good right out of the scanner! I added a minimum of P-shop magic and voilà, here they are. Thursday has never looked so Black! (And White*... ;^)

1. MILW 158 sits back-to-back with...

2. ...MILW 183 at the shared RH facility (with the KCS) at Knoche Yard in Kansas City, MO.
Photo date: February 15, 1980.

Thanks for looking back 4 decades!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

*And the fallen flag subject ain’t too shabby, either... :^)

Date: 08/05/21 15:06
Re: Thursday in B&W (vol #1): MILW!
Author: kevink

Nice B&W images!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/05/21 15:15
Author: LarryDoyle

Typical Milwaukee:  Don't go out to swap units around without bringing along an air hose wrench.

-LD

Date: 08/05/21 16:50
Author: stevelv

Nice photos and weather.  Great B&W shots!   I wonder how many younger fans can truly appreciate black and white photos like a lot of us older folks do on here.

Date: 08/05/21 17:01
Author: Bob3985

Very nice.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 08/05/21 17:13
Author: jmbreitigan

Nice B&W images Lance. 
John

Date: 08/05/21 18:17
Author: refarkas

Brrr. The black and white emphasizes the feeling of cold.
Bob

Date: 08/05/21 18:44
Author: ShoreLineRoute

Spectacular dark/black tonal rendition!
Oliver Barrett

Date: 08/05/21 19:41

ShoreLineRoute Wrote: > ... dark/black tonal rendition ...

Thank you, sir! I was very pleasantly surprised at how the blizzard-level snow falling virtually hid most of the usual little tiny white hair & dirt speck marks you normally got with a BW neg scan. Especially at 35mm! These 2 images together dressed up in Photoshop in less than 60", where color slides that old average 60-90" each...

Lance/199

Date: 08/05/21 19:43
Author: SD45

Send the snow next week.  We need the moisture.
sd-45

Date: 08/06/21 03:44
Author: Roadjob

Put B&W and snow together in a railroad shot and you can almost feel the cold! Like your idea Lance. Lets see if our friends can move past the Kodachrome mentality.

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 08/06/21 05:50

Roadjob Wrote: > ... Like your idea Lance. Lets see if our friends can  ...........

I thought of you "a time er 2" as I was coming up with this latest thread brainstorm. I'm betting you might have a pretty good stash of stray images you can toss up now & then for "Thursday in B&W". I will be keeping tabs on my posts: "vol #1, vol #2, etc. But that doesn't mean everybody else has to. I just do it to help me keep track of what I've been posting all along (since 2011)...

In about 1978 thru the very early 80s I got a wild hair and thought I needed to be shooting Black & White negs to accompany the regular Kodachrome stuff. Unfortunately I never owned a large or even medium-format camera. So now I have upwards of 200 notebook-sized plastic sleeves of BW 35mm negs that are just too awkward, not to mention time-consuming to scan. And when I was shooting them I never did come up with a reliable method of recording shooting dates & locations. Many of them will correspond to color slides long-settled into my main collection. But there are a significant number that will never know a date or location with 100% cetainty. I had an interesting conversation with former TO member KCCharlie. He tipped me off about an available service where you box up & mail your negs to this address. And they/he will scan them all & burn the images onto CDs for a reasonable sum, and mail them back. Sounds like a "just what the photo-doctor ordered" deal to me. So maybe I'll have an adequate supply of BW stuff to keep Thursday going for a long time...

Lance 

Date: 08/06/21 06:00
Author: dpc37

Well its not Mop Thursday in B&W but that's one fine set of photos I was just on those tracks last week we had to get
four CP motors together for the daily CP 475.

Date: 08/06/21 09:30
Author: texchief1

Like those shots, Lance!

Sure looks cold.

RC Lundgren

Date: 08/06/21 13:04

texchief1 Wrote: > ...  Sure looks cold ...

Indeed it was! Especially when the sun went behind this angry snow fluster. And I recall the typical Midwestern humidity being a big factor as well...

Lance/199

Date: 08/06/21 15:56
Author: LV95032

Sounds like a fine idea but since Thursday in already "Throwback Thursday" another day such as Tuesday in B&W works for me.

RWJ  - sitting amougst 500 rolls of B&W film negatives :-)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0532 seconds