Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Nostalgia & History > C&O Washington DC 1967

Date: 09/14/21 06:48
C&O Washington DC 1967
Author: CNStratford

March 1967-Easter weekend-Washington DC-Capitol Dome in background.
Stayed in a rat-infested motel.  Just read a story that Washington was famous for its rats until some of the poor people transported hundreds to the rich areas.  Then action WAS taken!

Date: 09/14/21 06:55
Re: C&O Washington DC 1967
Author: refarkas

Interesting scene - Definitely Washington.
Bob

Date: 09/14/21 07:32
Author: cr7998

Thanks for sharing this neat shot.  The train is most likely the George Washington (Train #1), which had a late afternoon departure from Washington Union Station.  Photo was taken from 12th Street SW.  This part of DC has been considerably cleaned up with many new buildings since 1967.    

Steve Salamon
Valley City, OH

Date: 09/14/21 07:52
Author: kurtarmbruster

Love that paint scheme, one of my faves--and the fact that C&O used Mars lights and Nathan M-5s on their power, and ran some of the classiest trains in the East. 

Date: 09/14/21 08:13
Author: railrob

I was having dinner one evening at Washington union station a few years ago with a friend who lived and worked next to the station when a small cat sized rat strolled by our table. I was shocked but my friends says that she takes her clients to dinner there all the time and sees lots of rats at dinner.  

Date: 09/14/21 08:34
Author: mamfahr

> Thanks for sharing this neat shot.  The train is
> most likely the George Washington (Train #1),
> which had a late afternoon departure from
> Washington Union Station.  

So C&O's trains operated via Southern trackage rights to/from Orange?  Did C&O operate any freight trains into DC or only passenger?

Thanks,

Mark

Date: 09/14/21 13:55
Author: RodneyZona

Old C&O Railway Clifton Forge, VA based passenger train crews worked to and from DC.  Charlotteville, VA based engine crews worked to and from DC.

Date: 09/14/21 14:12
Author: cr7998

mamfahr Wrote:
So C&O's trains operated via Southern trackage
rights to/from Orange?  Did C&O operate any
freight trains into DC or only passenger?

Mark - the C&O had trackage rights over the Southern between Orange and Alexandria, VA, for both freight and passenger trains.  The C&O freight trains originated or terminated at Potomac Yard in Alexandria.  C&O passenger trains also had rights over the RF&P main line around Potomac Yard, and rights on the PRR between Arlington, VA (RO Tower at the north end of Potomac Yard) and the Washington Terminal Company connection at Virginia Avenue Tower in Washington DC.  

Steve Salamon
Valley City, OH

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0468 seconds