Home Open Account Help 175 users online

Nostalgia & History > Two Depots Need Captions

Date: 09/23/21 19:35
Two Depots Need Captions
Author: MartyBernard

1. Milton Depot, there is a Milton in CA, WI, and ONT, Duane Hall photo, August 1989. 

2. Unknown Depot, Duane Hall photo, August 1989.  This one looks like a Museum.

Thanks for the help,
Marty Bernard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/21 19:35 by MartyBernard.

Date: 09/23/21 19:37
Re: Two Depots Need Captions
Author: Panamerican99

No. 1 is L&N at Milton, FL, now a nice museum.
JH

Date: 09/23/21 21:14
Author: ln844south

Correct! No. ! is Milton, Fl. Photo taken  during complete restoration work underway.. To see current picture search West Florida Railroad Museum.
That depot was my childhood hangout before I went to work for the L&N out of Pensacola, Fl.
I was involved in the restoration getting a $50,000 grant from the Florida Historical Preservation Board and raising the match.
The young railfan of today don't know what they are missing with such a experience I had growing up. All the local employees were great and taught me a lot about railroading before I hired out.
Buildings in the background are the former Bridge Tenders house off Escambia Trestle, Escambia Bay. which had been replaced with a new high rise bridge over the channel. The smaller building is a L&N phone booth from Myrtle wood, Al.
Wooden warehouse to the left of the depot is the old Milligan warehouse built in 1882 since demolished after hurricane damage.
Steve Panzik
Retied L&N (CSXT) Locomotive Engineer

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/21 21:25 by ln844south.

Date: 09/23/21 21:36
Author: PHall

No.2 is a Santa Fe Class 5 depot. Used mostly on the Eastern and Western Lines on the plains.

Date: 09/23/21 22:12
Author: Evan_Werkema

MartyBernard Wrote:

> 2. Unknown Depot, Duane Hall photo, August 1989. 
> This one looks like a Museum.

I think this is the depot from Moody, TX after it was relocated to Temple, TX and set up as the Railroad & Heritage Museum at 710 Jack Baskin St. just west of the Santa Fe yards.  The depot was later relocated next to Temple's own Santa Fe depot.  The door and window pattern next to the bay has been altered a bit: https://goo.gl/maps/EumGeXi8GZZie6jHA

PHall Wrote:

> No.2 is a Santa Fe Class 5 depot.

Moody was actually a GC&SF Combination Depot No.9.  Like the Hitchcock depot seen in a previous thread, it's an example of the Gulf Lines' adaptation of parent Santa Fe's pre-1910 depot standards. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0508 seconds