Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Nostalgia & History > ATSF Cabooses At Orwood, Ca.

Date: 10/12/21 10:36
ATSF Cabooses At Orwood, Ca.
Author: Espee1001

ATSF Caboose 999551 brings up the rear of a westbound piggyback train.
ATSF Caboose 999553 heads into the setting sun with another westbound freight. Mt. Diablo can be seen on the left and the depot/bridge tender building is on the right. 
ATSF Caboose 999782 at the end of a westbound freight that's getting closer to it's final destination of Richmond, Ca.
Thanks again for looking! Randy

Date: 10/12/21 13:57
Re: ATSF Cabooses At Orwood, Ca.
Author: wpdude

Your photos are fantastic! Would you mind sharing the dates, even if approximate, in your posts? Great stuff!

Date: 10/12/21 14:31
Author: PasadenaSub

Beautiful pics from the delta area.  Looks like they let you go up above for the 1st and 3rd images.

Rich

Date: 10/12/21 15:08
Author: jtwlunch

That bridge brings back some memories.  When I was Assistant Superintendent on that territory in 1988-1989, I got a call from the Fresno night chief dispatcher Dennis Iler who was laughing when I picked up and he said I finally got to call you in the middle of the night!  I need to tell you that the Orwood Bridge is stuck in the UP position and I have all the necessary people called.  He said go back to sleep I'll call you if it becomes a real problem because ther is nothing you can do about it!.  Gee thanks Dennis.  On Labor Day 1989 we hi-railled from Richmond to Stockton to look over the territory as the next day Mike Haverty the President of the Railroad was coming through on a business car.  In the 3rd picture you will notice a boat dock/storage area.  As we went by there there were two couples sitting in lounge chairs on the back of their boat naked as Jaybirds.  We had to slow down a little to confirm what we were seeing.  When we got to Stockton we flipped back on the 199 train on the head end.  We told the crew at Orwood there might be a sight to see.  As we went by the boat dock 4 heads were leaning out of the engine getting the same view again we waved and they raised their drinks in our honor.  You never know what's going to happen on the railroad.

Jim Wilson

Date: 10/12/21 16:04
Author: Espee1001

Great story, thanks for sharing.
Randy

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/12/21 16:19
Author: PHall

Waycars....

Date: 10/12/21 18:03
Author: atsf121

Love the photos Randy, that second one is stunning!

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/12/21 19:22
Author: GN599

Totally awesome!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.051 seconds