Home Open Account Help 234 users online

Nostalgia & History > AT&SF Dodge City depot: 1970 & 1991 ...

Date: 10/13/21 07:49
AT&SF Dodge City depot: 1970 & 1991 ...
Author: valmont

Although I have more pictures from other visits, these 2 seemed a fitting comparison ... change seemed slower then and sometimes not even noticeable. Been quite a while since I've been there.

Date: 10/13/21 08:28
Re: AT&SF Dodge City depot: 1970 & 1991 ...
Author: NPEDDIE

Was Dodge City a division headquarters at one time? I looks like there were dispatchers there.  This is a first class ATSF depot and had a lot of passenger and freight trains. Did crews change at Dodge City?

Ed Burns

Date: 10/13/21 08:44
Author: santafe199

NPEDDIE Wrote: > ...  Was Dodge City a division headquarters ...

Wow, an incredible couple of comparison shots for me. Thanks for posting them! In the summer of 1978 I spent 2 months working the switchman's extra board at Dodge, having been furloughed from Emporia. During my time there I never tried to explore the entirely vacant 2nd floor. There may have been "stuff" stored up there, but as far as I knew there was never any SFe personnel with working space up there.

To answer Ed's question, Dodge City was indeed HQ for the old Western Division. I don't know precisely when it was merged out of existence. And Dodge was, and still is a freight crew-change point. Amtrak's Santa Fe crews changed there back in those days. And rather than put shaky info up, I'll let someone more intimate with Amtrak describe how the SW Chief is manned these days...

Lance/199

Date: 10/13/21 08:45
Author: texchief1

Nice shots!

RC Lundgren
Elgin, TX 

Date: 10/13/21 09:57
Author: jeffgeldner

Many thanks for your post. Several years ago I attended dinner theater at the former Fred Harvey House El Vaquero located on the east side of the complex. The lobby was open as well as rooms upstairs for a haunted hotel theme. The show was an excellent production with tasty cuisine served. The website is depottheater.com with the Legend of Sleepy Hollow listed as a show coming soon in 2021.

Date: 10/14/21 08:04
Author: Conch

Interesting comparison. Wonder what happened to the switch stand near the center of the image? Looks like the track still diverges there.

Date: 10/14/21 19:28
Author: Milw_E70

NPEDDIE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>  Did crews change at
> Dodge City?

BNSF crews still change at Dodge as Lance said although for a number of years they had a double ended pool that ran through back before the speeds on the La Junta Sub were lowered in the late 2000s. As far as Amtrak is concerned, Dodge is an AFHT for both KC and La Junta crews.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0759 seconds