Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Nostalgia & History > KCS Turns and Dodgers

Date: 10/13/21 14:09
KCS Turns and Dodgers
Author: EastKSRailfan

While looking through my KCS slides from the early 1970s, I came across locals in two locations, one around Heavener, Oklahoma, the other just south of Kansas City. I read that the Grandview turn was based at Kansas City's Knoche Yard. I got a photo of it (red GP35) switching Grandview, MO's little yard, but I also got a photo of the same loco on some cars south of Grandview. Was that last movement also the Grandview turn? Many miles south of there, I photographed Deramus red and KCS white F-units (F3A and F7A, I think) in the yard at Heavener, and my friend got a Deramus red GP30 (and some other red units) on some cars a ways south of Heavener around, Page, Oklahoma. Was that a Dodger, and if so, where was its destination? Mena, Arkansas? Were those F-units also Dodger power? If so, could they be for the Ft. Smith dodger?

Carl Graves, Lawrence, KS

Date: 10/13/21 20:55
Re: KCS Turns and Dodgers
Author: 3rdswitch

This is quite a while ago. These could have been dodgers or locals or road power.  At the time KCS sill operated the branch out of Heavener to Walden, which probably had a "dodger". As late as the eighties, there was a Mena dodger that went to work at Mena. There probably was the Ft Smith dodger out of Heavener at the time. Things have changed quite a bit. As recent at '03, there was a Neosho, MO. dodger that went to work at Neosho. Today, this dodger goes to work at Pittsburg. So, very hard to answer these questions?
JB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.034 seconds