Home Open Account Help 214 users online

Nostalgia & History > Permanente Local caught at Paul Masson in Aerial photographs 1968

Date: 11/15/21 11:06
Permanente Local caught at Paul Masson in Aerial photographs 1968
Author: espee1998

Happened to stumble upon aerial photographs from May 2, 1968 that caught the Permanent Local doing some switching at Paul Masson Vineyards.  I noticed all the boxcars at the back of the facility.  I had forgotten that Paul Masson had a number of spurs at the facility and I checked with the SPINS and sure enough there were 3 spurs and a runaround track.

For those interested you can see the full aerial at:
https://mil.library.ucsb.edu/ap_images/cas-2310/cas-2310_1-175.tif

Date: 11/15/21 11:39
Re: Permanente Local caught at Paul Masson in Aerial photographs
Author: phthithu

Nice post Espee1998. Are you doing any georeferencing? I see a scale on your image.

Date: 11/15/21 11:49
Author: espee1998

I'm actually trying to overlay the image in Google Earth Pro so you're seeing the cropped part of the scale measurements.

Date: 11/15/21 13:17
Author: phthithu

espee1998 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm actually trying to overlay the image in Google
> Earth Pro so you're seeing the cropped part of the
> scale measurements.

Ok cool that's what georeferencing is basically. There's a cool website called georeferencer.com worth taking a look at. I use QGIS which takes a while to learn but does the trick, and for free. 

Date: 11/15/21 14:35
Author: sphogger

What a difference 40 or so years makes.  No Hwy 85 in 1968.  Paul Masson Gone. Monte Vista team gone too, Set out a car there back in those days.  All filled in with expensive homes.  From Monte Vista on to California Ave. in the old days prior to '62?  Only one unit on that local.  Must not have had much to do at Permanente.

sphogger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/21 14:36 by sphogger.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0425 seconds