Home Open Account Help 278 users online

Nostalgia & History > SFe teakettle + varnish at North Topeka

Date: 11/25/21 08:29
SFe teakettle + varnish at North Topeka
Author: santafe199

Another B/W image set aside during my ongoing Gibson Collection audit. Just like some other recently posted Gibson images, this one was scanned from a black & white copy slide. Probably at least a 3rd generation effort. But oh my, what a subject... :^)

1. AT&SF 2-6-2 #1058 leads mixed train #57 through North Topeka, KS. Note the semaphore signal blade not yet dropped into displaying a “stop” indication. Photo date estimate: Circa 1946.
Original negative taken by William A. Gibson (WAG) Sr.

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Art Gibson (wag216)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/23 02:28 by santafe199.

Date: 11/25/21 08:57
Re: SFe teakettle + varnish at North Topeka
Author: goldcoast

Is this train enroute Atchison?

Date: 11/25/21 09:22
Author: refarkas

Beautiful!
Bob

Date: 11/25/21 09:24
Author: santafe199

goldcoast Wrote: > ... enroute Atchison?
No sir... it's westbound #57 by the timeable from Atchison, rolling compass SSW parallel to the Union Pacific main line to Kansas City (on the right)...

Lance/199

Added: The semphore signal protects the crossing with the UP. This track will also cross the Kansas River to home turf just after crossing the UP...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/21 09:26 by santafe199.

Date: 11/25/21 09:56
Author: mp51w

Morning train from Atchison to the big Capital city! 

Date: 11/25/21 11:04
Author: goldcoast

It has been many years since I was last in Topeka and I don't have my bearings.  Framed by the station sign there appears to be a bridge in the distance and I thought that was the Santa Fe crossing of the Kansas River.

Date: 11/25/21 11:21
Author: texchief1

Neat shot, Lance!

RC Lundgren

Date: 11/25/21 13:39
Author: Evan_Werkema

This photo appears on page 162 of Iron Horses of the Santa Fe Trail.  The caption doesn't give a precise date, but does say, "During World War II, the Topeka-St. Joe motor car was, for a time, superseded by an experimental "mixed" consist - shown here leaving North Topeka."  If that's the case, it must have been very briefly, as the motor car schedule evolution in The Doodlebugs doesn't show a break in the existence of St. Joseph - Topeka motor schedules 57/58 until after the end of steam, and the mixed train schedule evolution in Coach Cabbage & Caboose doesn't show a St. Joseph - Topeka mixed at any time in the 1940's.  Also, Santa Fe Depots - the Eastern Lines says the depot at North Topeka wasn't abandoned until 1945.  Brill car M.110 was the usual St. Joe - Topeka motor until it was converted to a trailer in 1952, and it's possible the motor was just "sick" this day.  The 1058 was sold for scrap in 1949, so "circa 1946" is probably a good guess.

There was another time when Gibson & Co. captured steam "spelling" the motor car on this run in 1948 at North Topeka, as related in this old thread:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,3303593

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0396 seconds