Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Nostalgia & History > LK&W: another then & way back when!

Date: 11/29/21 13:41
LK&W: another then & way back when!
Author: santafe199

In my ongoing Gibson Collection audit I found a Bill Gibson slide scan I wish I would have had on hand when I posted this: ( [b]Chasing the LK&W (2nd Half) (trainorders.com)[/b] ). I have reposted 2 images (#1 & #3 below) from the original thread, with modified captions. I now think there are some minor ‘direction’ errors which I’ve hopefully corrected. It’s not easy to score 100% on every single test. But I do the best I can. And it sure is fun from a RR history-buff position...

1. Garrison, KS -under Tuttle Creek Lake waters since the early 1960s- was located on the east side of the Big Blue River. Seen here is an image taken during the great flood of 1903. This view is looking SSW. Looking closely at this image I believe there are 1 and possibly 2 westbound LK&W trains visible here in what looks like a siding. I’m guessing the engine from the lead train has cut off, and has ‘run around’ its own train. There is also a westbound passenger train whose engine is behind the trees by the elevator. It is possible we are looking at a single train whose engine is switching the train around in order to backtrack eastward. Apparently this LK&W ‘traffic’ reached Garrison, but rising waters of the Big Blue prevented any further westward progress.

2. NEW image: I believe this view of the former site of Garrison, KS is looking generally NW. Almost 6 decades apart from image #1. I will assume the lonely sedan down below belongs to photographer Bill Gibson who had to hike up here for the shot. Undoubtedly one of the very last vehicles to drive these roads before the future Tuttle Creek Lake began filling with water.
Photo taken November 12, 1960 by William A. Gibson (WAG) Sr.

3. I believe this is a view of the same valley also looking NW. This is an 18mm wide angle view looking at current lake water covering the old site of Garrison, KS. This image was taken from a long out-of-use boat-ramp access on the east bank of Tuttle Creek Lake.
Photo date: October 27, 2014.

Thanks for looking back again!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Art Gibson (wag216)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/23 03:02 by santafe199.

Date: 11/30/21 04:50
Re: LK&W: another then & way back when!
Author: sfn2633

Lance:

Thanks for posting.  It is always fun to remember the LK&W.  For those not familiar with the line it ran from Leavenworth Kansas west to Miltonvale and was narrow gauge until 1890.  It had fallen into UP control and was converted to standard gauge.

The boat ramp photo is where you took Jim W and I several years ago.

Jeff N
Olathe

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0593 seconds