Home Open Account Help 211 users online

Nostalgia & History > My best pan shot (SCL)?

Date: 01/09/22 22:58
My best pan shot (SCL)?
Author: dwatry

I've never been much of a pan shot shooter, though I always like them when done well.   Here's maybe my best attempt ever - and it was a long time ago!  March 30, 1975 in Charleston, SC.  I was visiting my friend Brian on spring break, and we chased this northbound freight in his lime green Duster, which he later wrecked!  Too bad!    Also including some other shots of chasing this train.

1)  The pan shot - SCL NB freight out of Charleston with U36B #1787.
2)  Same train in Charleston, as it's getting ready to leave.  Note the REA Express trailers!  3rd unit was an ex-SAL SDP-35, looks like.
3)  Getting out of town!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/22 23:06 by dwatry.

Date: 01/09/22 23:05
Re: My best pan shot (SCL)?
Author: dwatry

4)  This train was moving!  This is former ACL trackage and we had to really put the hammer down to keep up with it!
5)  Rolling through the pines...
6)  And then we caught it at an overpass where US 52 goes over the tracks in Monck's Corner, and that was the last we saw of it!

Date: 01/09/22 23:18
Author: jgilmore

Very nice bunch, pan shot is excellent!

JG

Date: 01/10/22 02:16
Author: robj

Nice set and pan.

Bob

Date: 01/10/22 06:09
Author: refarkas

Well done. My favorite is your last image with the overhead view.
Bob

Date: 01/10/22 07:25
Author: RailThunder

Great work and thanks for sharing.  While often overlooked, the SCL was a fast railroad in that part of the world.  Just think what it would have looked like to see the ACL Champion in most of your photos at a "leisurely" 100MPH in 1957 timetable and special instructions.  

Date: 01/11/22 02:59
Author: UP951West

Your pan shot is excellent !!   Thanks for sharing. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0416 seconds