Home Open Account Help 390 users online

Nostalgia & History > Depot Friday: A pair at Peabody

Date: 01/14/22 04:19
Depot Friday: A pair at Peabody
Author: santafe199

A while back (try SEVEN years...) I kinda-sorta promised TO member ‘gladdis’ that I’d post shots of his 2 hometown RR depots. Then I promptly misplaced one of the scans. Just the other day I found that scan. It was in a sub-folder, inside a sub-folder, inside another sub-folder*. So at long last here are the Rock Island AND Santa Fe depots in Peabody, Kansas circa 1964. I thought about leaning on the well-traveled excuse that “it’s better late than never”. But I’m sure I’ll be better off to just change the subject and move on... ;^)

1. CRI&P depot at 3rd Street in Peabody, KS.

2. AT&SF depot at 1st & South Walnut Streets in Peabody, KS.
Two photos taken in February of 1964 by William A. -Art- Gibson (WAG) Jr.

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels (santafe199)
Art Gibson (wag216)

*I sometimes talk about having secretarial skills. But just to be sure, this is NOT to be confused with any claim to having GOOD secretarial skills... ;^)

Date: 01/14/22 05:45
Re: Depot Friday: A pair at Peabody
Author: texchief1

Nice shots, Lance/Art!  Is the SF depot still there or did they demolish it?

RC Lundgren

Date: 01/14/22 07:12

The Peabody depot is long gone. The latest shot I have in my collectiont is a 1971 shot that Bill took...

Date: 01/14/22 07:18
Author: atsfer

Thanks for posting and to Art for the pics....never seen these shots before anywhere.

Date: 01/14/22 07:25
Author: glcaddis

Thanks Lance, a new look at the Rock Island depot for me. The Santa Fe shot is similar to others I have or seen. I still lament the city’s decision not to acquire the depot and save it. And, I lament not buying one of the waiting room benches when I had the chance. 

Date: 01/14/22 08:15

glcaddis Wrote: > ...  new look at the Rock Island depot for me ...

And a very belated 'you're welcome' from this guy... ;^)

Lance

Date: 01/15/22 14:15
Author: glcaddis

My folks moved to Peabody from White City in 1945. I had my first birthday a week after they moved. We lived in a rental house on Olive Street, due east of the RI Depot and two blocks north on the ATSF double track passenger main. Mom didn't like all the trains so we moved to Vine street further north and a little further east of the RI Main. But I could still hear trains all day and all night, if I was awake. Great place to grow up and be from.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0473 seconds