Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Nostalgia & History > Depot Friday - Dallas Union Terminal from the air

Date: 01/14/22 06:55
Depot Friday - Dallas Union Terminal from the air
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Dallas in 1949.  Looks like a freight is passing by close to the construction site which is a car park for station customers.

Wye on far right was used to turn the passenger consists as some trains terminated here and needed to be turned, such as
the Cotton Belt's Morning Star which enters and leaves DUT from the north (left side of photo) and Southern Pacific's Sunbeam
which enters and exits from the south (right side).  Other tenants  were MKT, T&P, ATSF, RI, FW&D.

I was born in Dallas in '56 so missed out on all this.

Date: 01/14/22 07:13
Re: Depot Friday - Dallas Union Terminal from the air
Author: Frisco1522

Steam passenger train is MKT and the freight in the foreground is Frisco.

Date: 01/14/22 07:21
Author: jgilmore

Great view, my how that whole area would change...

JG

Date: 01/14/22 08:44
Author: 2-10-2

Great photo of Dallas when it was still very busy downtown. My grandmother worked at the Neiman Marcus downtown from 1946 to the early '80s.

I was born in '58 in Houston, my maternal grandparents would take the train from Dallas down to visit, but I only have vague memories of taking them to the Houston station to head back.
The father of a good friend of my grandfathers was one of the engineers on the DUT switcher. That might be it on the right side, 3rd or 4th track from the top.

Historicarials.com shows that construction as being a large parking lot. Later to become Reunion Tower.

Date: 01/14/22 16:06
Author: pwh

There is a diesel powered passenger train headed in the opposite direction at the other end of the station plateform. Looks like it may be Rock Island E units?

Date: 01/15/22 10:51
Author: 41

The narrower bridge in upper right is the Texas Electric Interurban rwy, also used by the Dallas streetcar system.

Date: 01/15/22 10:58
Author: dan

which direction is the book depository?

Date: 01/15/22 14:21
Author: glcaddis

It is west of the Union Depot about four or five blocks I think. The street on the north side of the depot also ran along the north side of the book depository IIRC.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0267 seconds