Home Open Account Help 366 users online

Nostalgia & History > Switcher Saturday: Chicago 1985

Date: 01/15/22 03:44
Switcher Saturday: Chicago 1985
Author: bandob

C&NW #1218 in its natural habitat, Chicago's North Western Station. This morning's duty would be putting together the Overland "400" excursion train to Sterling, IL.

B&OBill

Date: 01/15/22 08:30
Re: Switcher Saturday: Chicago 1985
Author: sfbrkmn

Indeed a great photo w/a "hot looking" eng. Reminds me once of a stressful event, in the middle of a long OS section w/gobs of control point signals and dual switches, was instructed to line by hand on a crossover movement, I lined the switches by hand, we called the DS asking him if he had any bells or sirens going off, making sure I lined the correct switch. I did it correct, he got a laugh out of it but did thank us fro asking--just in case.
Sam 

Date: 01/15/22 09:02
Author: CNW8531

I like it!

Date: 01/15/22 12:07
Author: NCA1022

bandob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> C&NW #1218 in its natural habitat, Chicago's North
> Western Station. This morning's duty would be
> putting together the Overland "400" excursion
> train to Sterling, IL.
>
> B&OBill

I rode that excursion that day.  It was a HOT and humid day - temp well into the 90's by the time we got to Sterling.  The A/C in the coach we were seated in didn't work so we soon moved to one of the old ex-Rock Island commuter coaches on the rear that had windows that opened.  We got off with the rest of the passengers in Sterling while the crew took the consist further west to Nelson to wye the train for the return trip.  We walked into town and found a place to eat, sweating all the way there.  I think the first beer mostly evaorpated between by lips and stomach...   A tremendous ride that day behind NKP 765.

- Norm

Date: 01/15/22 14:43
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE!!

Larry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0343 seconds