Home Open Account Help 360 users online

Nostalgia & History > Weather shot interrupted?

Date: 05/19/22 06:33
Weather shot interrupted?
Author: santafe199

So there I was, fixin’ to shoot this magnificent cloud bank. But then here comes this danged ol’ train to ruin my shot. I was really forward looking to the dramatic sky...... What’s that? You’re not buying my sob story?? Okay-okay, ya got me! Boy, you just can’t get away with nothin’ around this joint! ;^)

Here’s the real skinny: I was on an impromptu, out of town railfanning jag. I spotted an EB autorack train leaving Manhattan in crappy, soon-to-be rainy weather and got a wild hair. After running an errand I had to go all the way to Topeka before I could catch the train and get a shooting angle at Button Rd. I would shoot a westbound train a few minutes later at Brickyard Rd just as the heavens were opening up. Then I ran out the NW 25th St crossing to bag this 3rd train after the rain squall ceased. The original image was posted almost 11 years ago with Picasa editing. This time the colors are a bit better toned after a decade of experience with Photoshop. Not to mention the image size is now TO’s standard 1000 instead of the 800 I mistakenly posted at back then.

As an aside, here’s part of a complaint I penned over a decade ago: “... what in blazes am I doing' burning gas at $3.53 a gallon...” So I guess my fill-up today @ $4.09/gallon shouldn’t be that much of a shock. BTW: enough time has elapsed to convert his image from Western to Nostalgia forum material...

1. UP 5717 is eastbound at Menoken on the west side of Topeka, KS on September 9, 2011.
(Image previously posted with Picasa editing)

Thanks for looking anew!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 05/19/22 08:53
Re: Weather shot interrupted?
Author: texchief1

Shot turned out nice!  I s Menoken the Junction of the KP and Marysville sub?

RC Lundgren

Date: 05/19/22 09:35
Re: Weather shot interrupted?
Author: santafe199

texchief1 Wrote: > ... Is Menoken the Junction of the KP and Marysville sub?

Yessir, it is. If you look in Google Maps you'll find the name "Menoken". And you will see where the 2 lines diverge/come together, almost directly under the new US hwy 24 overpass...

Lance

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0371 seconds